why is my cache drive not being used?

chuga

Hi,

When I copy to unraid, the speed starts out at ~100MB/sec and drops eventually to ~35MB/sec.  When I check my cache drive after copying the file (in windows explorer, or in the unraid webgui - view) it is empty....I would have expected to see the movie I copied there until the next day (after the mover runs overnight).  So between the speed being slow, and the drive being empty, I assume cache is not being used.

I do have "use cache disk" set to "yes" for the movie share that I am copying to (cache drive is a samsung SSD).

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

thanks,

Hi,

When I copy to unraid, the speed starts out at ~100MB/sec and drops eventually to ~35MB/sec.  When I check my cache drive after copying the file (in windows explorer, or in the unraid webgui - view) it is empty....I would have expected to see the movie I copied there until the next day (after the mover runs overnight).  So between the speed being slow, and the drive being empty, I assume cache is not being used.

I do have "use cache disk" set to "yes" for the movie share that I am copying to (cache drive is a samsung SSD).

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

thanks,

R u copying to a user share or disk share?

Just to be clear, you ARE copying to the share -- not to a disk -- is that correct?

i.e. you're copying to \\Tower\Kids Movies  and NOT to \\Tower\disk1\Kids Movies

If that's the case, and the share settings for Kids Movies has caching enabled, then try "toggling" the cache setting -- i.e. change the share so it does NOT use cache;  reboot the server; then change it back and reboot again.

Just to be clear, you ARE copying to the share -- not to a disk -- is that correct?

i.e. you're copying to \\Tower\Kids Movies  and NOT to \\Tower\disk1\Kids Movies

If that's the case, and the share settings for Kids Movies has caching enabled, then try "toggling" the cache setting -- i.e. change the share so it does NOT use cache;  reboot the server; then change it back and reboot again.

thanks- this seems to have fixed it.  I toggled the cache setting with a reboot after each change and now sustained 100MB/sec speeds when copying (and the file is on the cache drive when I check).  Not sure why that happened to begin with, but thanks,

Archived