Upgrading from 4.7 to 6: best to just do fresh install on a new USB stick?

Ouze

I have been putting this off forever because I am terrified of upsetting the currently great status quo.  I built my 24 bay Norco Unraid box in 2011 and it's been working great since then. I haven't had a single serious issue with it.

Now I see that 6 is imminent. My friend that I went in on the license with is using the latest version of 6, and some of the features are amazing. I think it might finally be time to pull the trigger.

I've bought a new thumbstick that was on the approved compatible list. What is the easiest way to move to the new version? I was thinking just installing to a new stick and replacing the old one, copying over my license file, might be the way; is that so?

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, I only saw upgrades to 5.x when searching.

The license you have is tied to the GUID of a particular USB stick, so you cannot do what you specified.

LimeTech have been offering a promotion to buy an additional license for $30 while v6 is in beta for those who want to be able to easily try v6 while still retaining their old system..

The alternative is to do the upgrade on your current USB stick so the license remains valid.

The readme in the zip file has the instructions for which files to copy over for an upgrade, it is only about 4-5 files.

You can also backup your flash, wipe the flash, and re-install unraid as new, and then restore the config directory and key file if you ever wanted to clean up the contents of the flash.  Then you can boot backup up with your existing configuration.

The license you have is tied to the GUID of a particular USB stick, so you cannot do what you specified.

LimeTech have been offering a promotion to buy an additional license for $30 while v6 is in beta for those who want to be able to easily try v6 while still retaining their old system..

The alternative is to do the upgrade on your current USB stick so the license remains valid.

Could you please give a link to the "promotion" for version 6 licenses?

I cannot find a simple explanation on how to upgrade from v5 to v6.  Maybe it is like a normal upgrade where you just update your flash drive but it would be nice for someone to "tell their story" of their experience.  I would like to set up a test system to try v6 first but the 3 drive freebie would not allow testing cache pools even.  I can't find anywhere as to wether you even need to buy a new license for the upgrade.  I know it is still in beta but would like to prepare as it looks amazing.

Thanks to all in advance for helping.

I can't speak to the promotion, but I did the upgrade last night and there were no major issues.

I uninstalled my addons and went from 4.7 to whatever the most current version of 5 is. That went without issue.

I then went to the most current version of 6. That was OK too, except one panic moment when I skipped a step and didn't make my USB stick bootable (oops). I suspect I probably didn't even need to pull the USB stick at all, but whatever.

All seems well except I am having an issue with my cache dirs. I will take that up in the appropriate thread though.

Thank for for the assistance.

Archived