Ghost folders

wgstarks

If you have User Shares enabled, then top level folders are considered to be User Shares.    Simply renaming the folder does not change the user share (in fact it creates an additional one with the new folder name).  You need to make changes to the User Share settings to stop folders re-appearing.

Thanks for the info. Actually though, user shares are not enabled. I'm currently just using the machine as a media server for XBMC so it only has one share over SMB. No other protocols are enabled. No passwords. The folders in question are movie folders that are several levels deep in the share. I typically name the folder to include the tags on the video file. Something like- Thor (2013) HDTV. If I replace the video with say a Bluray then the folder name gets changed to- Thor (2013) bluray. With this example, if I check later I will find 2 folder; Thor (2013) HDTV and Thor (2013) bluray. Both in the same location with the same contents.

I have stopped just renaming folders of course. Now if I replace the video file I add the new file in a new folder and delete the old folder. This really doesn't seem proper though, and makes me think that there must be some problem with my system.

If you do not have User Shares enabled then I have no idea!

I assume that when you say you do not have User Shares enabled that you are using direct disk shares?

I wonder if there is a bug in this scenario?  I would expect that not many people do not have User Shares enabled (although I could be wrong about that).

My mistake. Actually, I do have user shares enabled. It's just all disks in a single user share (except cache and parity). But I haven't made any changes to the top level folder. These folders are all 4 levels down. The path is Media/XBMC/Movies/allmoviefolders. I haven't seen the problem in other locations like Media/XBMC/TV Shows, but that's probably just because I haven't changed the names on any folders there.

Split Level is blank. That's the setting that was recommended when I built the machine. This problem definitely only only occurs when I rename a folder though. I have tested and can repeat it consistently. Anytime I rename a folder in the Finder window a folder with the original name will appear sometime in the next 24 hours.

I'll check that thanks. However, I think itimpi may have hit on something when he suggested that it might be something xbmc is doing. I've been trying to reproduce this behavior in a folder outside the xbmc source and can't. I plan on reproducing it inside the xbmc source and compare the folder creation time to the xbmc logs and see if there is any correlation. Perhaps one of the xbmc scrapers is recreating an old file path if the scraper runs before the database updates (wild guess). I can't remember for sure, but I believe all the files in the "ghost" folder were art files. If that's the case then it will really narrow the possible culprits.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you certain there are not duplicate folder names on separate drives? You'll need to check disk shares to be certain. Only the duplicate on the lowest numbered drive is shown in the user share.

Perhaps this is what's happening? I haven't been able to verify an exact cause. If this is the problem, then what's the best way to delete a folder?

Are you certain there are not duplicate folder names on separate drives? You'll need to check disk shares to be certain. Only the duplicate on the lowest numbered drive is shown in the user share.

Perhaps this is what's happening? I haven't been able to verify an exact cause. If this is the problem, then what's the best way to delete a folder?

Look in Disks shares for identically named files with identical paths, other than the disk#. Delete the file or files on the higher numbered disk share. I.E., if the same file appears on disk1 and disk2 then delete the copy on disk2. Repeat until there are no more duplicates.

I can browse the disks in the webgui by clicking on the folder/magnifying glass icon, but I don't see how to delete the folders? It just opens the folder when I click the link. If I just use a file browser and connect to the share I can add or delete files, but I can't see which disks they are being copied to or deleted from. How do I browse the individual disks and delete duplicate folders?

Archived