VM Hard disk activity

I had ATI drivers installed, and then switched which card was being passed through and that's when the disk activity went crazy.  Once I got the Nvidia drivers installed (which was painfully slow), it resumed to regular speed.

There were some issues with the Nvidia card, and I reverted back to the ATI, and it worked fine until a reboot, and now my whole VM is hosed.  :(  Trying a system restore.  I had taken a snapshot, but for some reason, he decided to delete himself....  *sad trombone noise*

Might have to just rebuild this guy from scratch.  He was from a Virtualbox build anyways.  Might be good to do fresh all through KVM.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the issue with disk activity and latency like that happen to me once or twice and was wondering the issue.  I don't think its driver related in the way you think.  Is your ssd formatted with btrfs that the qcow disk is on?

For me, yes to both.

I will say I've never noticed this on my VM (that is up 24/7) that has no pass through being used.

Only on the one with, and it was as expected somewhat sporadic of an occurrence.

I've had the issue with disk activity and latency like that happen to me once or twice and was wondering the issue.  I don't think its driver related in the way you think.  Is your ssd formatted with btrfs that the qcow disk is on?

Yes to both, as well.  I was able to restore from my original VDI file that I converted to qcow2, so it wasn't a huge headache to get back to regular.  I love VM's.  So easy to backup the hard drive file and revert back if necessary.