New Router can't access NAS now

iveo83

My router was acting funny so I got a new one. Now I can't access my unRAID homepage or even a telnet session. I restarted my NAS a few times but it didn't help. I changed the network file setting on my usb thumb in the config file. I changed the gateway to match my current one (i got it from typing ipconfig in cmd prompt on my comp.) That didn't work so I was looking in my router settings and it said the subnet was 255.255.254.0 so I changed that also in the config file but it still didn't work.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to change a setting in my router too?

I wouldn't think the netmask should be 255.255.254.0, that would include 2 class C address ranges (510).  Most home routers would give you a class C, 255.255.255.0 with 255 addresses.  Are you using DHCP on your unraid server?  If so what address is are you getting from an ifconfig on the main interface?

I wouldn't think the netmask should be 255.255.254.0, that would include 2 class C address ranges (510).  Most home routers would give you a class C, 255.255.255.0 with 255 addresses.  Are you using DHCP on your unraid server?  If so what address is are you getting from an ifconfig on the main interface?

I was using a static IP on my old router I'm pretty sure. This new router is confusing me to get around. I tried changing it to static and it gave me an error and said my IP cannot be the same as the gateway address. That's how I have it in the conf. file for unRAID though. I feel like im digging myself deeper yet it's a very simple fix, I'm just missing something. I would post screenshots but it's prob not safe to post screenshots of my IPs and stuff right?

As long as you are not using public addresses, it shouldn't really be a security issue.

The would make sure the netmask is the same as the router.  Usually the router ip is the .1 address, such as 192.168.0.1, so your server should be in the range of .2 - .254

my old router was .0 but my new one is .1 but i left my NAS as .0.09 should I change the NAS to .1.09 instead?

You shouldn't need to set the static IP at the server itself, use address reservation on your router instead. It will reserve that address for that particular mac address, and always assign it to that computer. On my router it's under Advanced>Setup>LAN setup. Click add, choose the machine, set the IP, and it's done. I have everything using static IPs for ease of use, and got tired of Windows bitching about it and screwing it up now and then.

Way back when, I found that setting the server to DHCP caused an issue were SAMBA was reset every time the server updated the lease.  The IP did not change, just the lease updated.  Obviously it did not matter if I reserved the IP address or not in the router.

My solution was to hard code the IP in the server, but also reserve the same IP in the router.

ok I can see unRAID now on my computer and telnet. But something is still wrong because it's not downloading off SABnzbd anymore. I think my settings are wrong so it's not going online. When I test my usenet server it says "invalid server address", but I know all the info is correct because it worked perfect before I changed my router. Any idea how to fix this? I can post some screenshots if it would help.

EDIT: Couch Potato and Sickbeard won't run at all now. I can get into SAB but nothing will download.

You should have changed your router subnet to match your old one.  That way your existing network mapping would still be good.

Check you CP/SB setting for the address they have for SAB.

That's a really good idea. I thought swapping my router wouldn't change any settings. I still have the old one. Should I plug it back in screenshot all the settings pages and then switch it back to the new router?

I'm not sure how to check CP/SB settings if I can't open them.

You should have changed your router subnet to match your old one.  That way your existing network mapping would still be good.

That's a really good idea. I thought swapping my router wouldn't change any settings. I still have the old one. Should I plug it back in screenshot all the settings pages and then switch it back to the new router?

I'm not sure how to check CP/SB settings if I can't open them.

Sabnzbd settings are all in sabnzbd.ini. CP is in...settings.conf I think?

This worked perfect. I wasn't sure if I could change my router IP since the 3rd number was .1 on my new one and my old one was .0. Once I changed all that over it all works. Thanks so much!!  :D