100TB drives by 2025

That projection is based on 30% CAGR, which the disk drive industry has not been doing.

To go completely off topic, and perhaps forestall some others;

It's not about drive size, but cost per TB, or more importantly, cost per protected TB.

If you could by a 100TB drive today, it only costs $10,000, would you? That's only $100/TB, about where we see new drives entering the market ($600 for 6TB). I doubt you would. But the reason will be compounded by the fact that you need two of them (at least). For 100TB to rebuild, you'll be asking is that new 100TB drive build like our current 10^14 drives? Hopefully not.

What if I told you building 100TB of protected storage using 3TB or 4TB is less than half that? Yeah, all in, with two parity drives. unRAID is actually much lower cost, ~$4,000.

The attached is my handy drive shopping spreadsheet for pricing drive costs when building arrays. It has shown me time and time again, that the lowest $/TB drive yields the lower build cost. You can adjust for various styles of protection, RAID10, RAID3/4/5 like unRAID, RAID6, and even more recent EC, like 8+3 and 2+2.

cost-per-tb.zip