Corsair or PC P&C 750 watt power supply?

jdubs

I have the corsair 750 in my main box and the vx450 in my unraid. In my experience the stock CPU fans are louder. I must admit that I have not pushed the PSUs past 60% of their respective capacities. The boxes the PSUs come in (if you can trust that) show that noise does not increase until about 90% of rated capacity. On the other hand I have never used a PC Power & cooling, but I have only read good things about them. I did not check how many 12v rails the PC Power & Cooling supplies have, but the Corsairs only have ONE and that's great because you don't have to worry about balancing loads across multiple rails.

I also just built my unraid (within the last 2 weeks) with the corsair 750tx...  I have 3 1.5tb seagates and 5 750gb seagates, the server boots and runs just perfectly.

Though be warned at least 1 person has had problems with the corsair PSU

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3645.0

The above person was using the standard motherboard used by limetech and myself.  So there may be an incompatibility with the PSU and certain hardware.

I was in the same boat as you, from all reviews the PC power and corsair are both great brands, both use single 12v rails I believe.

Thanks guys.  I did see that post about the Corsair, which has made me think twice....but perhaps it was an isolated incident?  Not sure.  PC P&C makes a great supply and like you said, they both have single 12v rails. 

Hmm, not sure I can go wrong with either. 

-Jim

Guys

I've narrowed my choice down to the Corsair 750TX or the PC Power and Cooling 750W Silencer.  Both of similar price.  Is one "better" than the other?  Which is quieter?

Thanks for the help!

-Jim

I have the Corsair 750TX in my unRaid server, which currently has 8 WD 1TB drives, it is running just great. I paid about $130 here in China, but you can probably get a much better deal elsewhere...

Jaz

I have the Corsair 750TX in my unRaid server, which currently has 8 WD 1TB drives, it is running just great. I paid about $130 here in China, but you can probably get a much better deal elsewhere...

Jaz

There was a recent thread about the Corsair 750TX causing problems for some users.  Basically the system would shutdown under very little load.  I'd go with the PC Power and Cooling.

BTW, 750 watts is not needed unless you are planning to go to 20 drives.  I am running 16 with 550 watts.  8 1T GP drives would easily run at 400 watts.

OCZ is about to release some seriously high spec (80Plus gold) PSU that are single rail and modular.

No clue on cost but on paper its a winner.

NAS:  You mentioned that the new PSU's would be modular.  It would be interesting if they are because PC Power and Cooling's website appears to indicate that modular PSU are bad: http://www.pcpower.com/technology/myths/#m3.  But, I may just be misinterpreting what they are saying.  The technology behind PSU's is new to me since I just started learning about them for a new unRAID server I am building, so my knowledge in this area is limited.

From what i read the same PSU is being released modular and not modular. Theres a fait chance someone will do a side to side review and we will see for sure.

Given the choice i would ALWAYS choose modular. Is that the corect decision, who knows, I just know the reality of wiring up things and making it neat floats my boat.

I am certain it will make some difference to the PSU but if you buying a good quality PSU there must be alot of margin. Personally my gut is that it falls into the audiofile polish the mains plug with brasso crowd

There was a recent thread about the Corsair 750TX causing problems for some users.  Basically the system would shutdown under very little load.  I'd go with the PC Power and Cooling.

BTW, 750 watts is not needed unless you are planning to go to 20 drives.  I am running 16 with 550 watts.  8 1T GP drives would easily run at 400 watts.

I suspect these users had "other" operator err.. - excuse me - hardware problems, since my two servers, bothe equipeed with Corsair 750TX's work perfectly and don't skip a beat... and I had an OCZ 650 in one of the servers (with loads properly distributed) and it would occasionally shut down when I hit "SPIN UP ALL DRIVES"... 13 SATA drives.

I'm one of the users who have had issues with running the 750 with a particular mobo, but it wasn't for an unraid setup.  There was no 'operator error', no miswiring, no overload.  If anything, there was a severe UNDERLOAD on the powersupply (Intel Atom 330 mobo, OCZ SSD, can't get much lower than that really).  The same supply worked fine on another machine (my main rig), and powers a 380w 4 channel car stereo amp beautifully (I also used it in my unraid box for a short period while I was waiting for a new supply to come in, worked fine there as well).  It just will NOT power my Atom board.  Right now it's being powered by an old ACER 200w supply (since it's a low power machine, that supplies more than enough).

I'm currently running one of the Corsair 400's in my unraid box with 12 drives, with absolutely no problems (I'm definitely NOT going to add any more without getting at least a 650 for it though).

To go and assume that it was operator error, just because YOU had no problems with them, kind of pisses me off...

I'm running the Corsair CMPSU-400CX which is "only" a 400W model.  I've got an intel motherboard and three SATA (1TB) drives and five older IDE drives (320GB units) attached. Total power consumption at the AC power socket is about the 100W mark, so even a 400W unit is way over kill.  The reason I went for the 400W unit instead of something smaller was that anything smaller was either a lot more expensive or did not have enough drive power connectors to run more than about 6-8 drives without using splitters. As for noise, the power supply's fan is thermally controlled and is the least noisy fan I have.