Unraid is losing it's network connection randomly.

So I've been using Unraid 5 for a while with very few issues, until now, and I could really use some input.  About 4 weeks ago, I started noticing that when I tried to open a drive folder, open the main webgui or telnet into the Unraid box, I would receive a "Drive is Unavailable", "This webpage is not available" or some error message at random times.  Upon further inspection, I discovered that the Unraid server would be up and running fine one minute and the next it wouldn't connect to anything.  Then minutes later, it would work again for a bit.  I hadn't messed with the network hardware in any way.  I may have upgraded Plex or SAB around that time, but I don't remember.

To remedy the problem, I've tried different CAT5 cables and different ports on my router and my switch.  I've tried running Unraid without any plugins, same deal.  I am unable to see a pattern to the disconnections and I'm all out of possible solutions.  Anyone have any suggestions as how to proceed?  Maybe reinstalling Unraid somehow.  I'm lost.

Thanks for any help.

Moclab

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem, persistent on 5.6 and now 6b12 (I had hoped that maybe upgrading would fix it).

It seems to not show up in the system log. First boot was at 11.04AM, I got disconnected at around 11.22. Reconnection is at about 11.26, and it's been going like this forever. WebGUI as well as shares vanish all of a sudden. This happens every 10 minutes or so.

Accessing from a Mac running on OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 (but it happens when I try to rsync from a synology as well, so I doubt it's the client that is acting up, but who knows)

I'm attaching the syslog below.

I hope someone's got a lead as to what this could be.... much appreciated.

Ethernet information from the system profiler:

Port eth0 Information

Supported ports: [ TP MII ]

Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full

Supported pause frame use: No

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only

Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: MII

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

Supports Wake-on: pumbg

Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)

drv probe ifdown ifup

Link detected: yes

syslog.zip

No idea what could be causing your problem although it does sound as if it might be hardware related.

Thought it was worth pointing out that the syslog you posted only seems to cover the end of a boot sequence and is only a few seconds long.    It might be worth posting a new one after you know you have had some of these disconnects (with their approximate times if known) so that we can see if anything appears that might be relevant.

well the weird thing is, the log doesn't get new entries. just had another disconnect at about 11.58, but none of them seem to show up in the syslog. the last entries are

Feb 18 11:04:18 Tower avahi-daemon[2285]: Service "Tower" (/services/smb.service) successfully established.

Feb 18 11:32:45 Tower emhttp: read_line: client closed the connection

although surely, other things must have happened since (apart from the disconnect)