Can't set user shares to private

CasanovaFly

Hello all,

Just got my unRAID server set up and I'm trying to divvy out the shares the way I'd like. On my server I have three folders: movies, TV shows, and backup. I watch my media off my WD TV Live box, and obviously that box has need to see my backup folder. From what I understand reading this thread, all I need to do is set it to "private." The problem is that when I go to my backup share, and then to the SMB Security Settings tab, 'private' is greyed out in the security dropdown menu.

Is there some finagling I need to do in order to make private usable? Obviously I'm super new to this. Most things with unRAID are (thankfully) super easy and intuitive, but I have no idea why it won't let me set anything to private. If that would even solve my problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Well shucks! I'm on basic right now while I fill up my three HDDs I have attached. Going pro as soon as that fills up, but I suppose I could jump ahead. Nothing to do but wait for the transfer, anyway.

Would private solve my problem, though, while I have you? Essentially I want to pick and choose who can see what folders.

The way I recall that it works (at home I have access to everything, so never really tested) is that even if its set to private, and the user has no access, they can still see that the share is there (just cannot access it without proper credentials)

You can however also set the export settings to hidden.  That way, the share is still there, you can get access to it with credentials, but you cannot browse the network and see it.  Its how I setup the export settings on the individual disks and those "special" pictures with the wife.

The way I recall that it works (at home I have access to everything, so never really tested) is that even if its set to private, and the user has no access, they can still see that the share is there (just cannot access it without proper credentials)

You can however also set the export settings to hidden.  That way, the share is still there, you can get access to it with credentials, but you cannot browse the network and see it.  Its how I setup the export settings on the individual disks and those "special" pictures with the wife.

Yep that's just about right. You can also mix and match these.

A good (but dated) run down can be found here.

Basically you've got two sets of options which can be mixed and matched.

Set one Export Paramaters.

• Yes: Provide Network Access to this Share or Disk
  • No: Do no Provide Network Access to this Share of Disk
  • Yes/Hidden: Provide Network Access to this Share or Disk but do not list it in the file tree

Set two Security Paramaters.

• Public: No login required to access this share or disk
  • Secure: All users have at minimum read-only access. Selected users have write access
  • Private: Only selected users can access this share

So you might only want to make the backup share hidden, or you might want to make it Private depending on how you want to control your data.

Archived