[SOLVED] new build, can't get on network.

shinjuku

Hello,

I just built a new server, my third. However this time I can't get it to get on my local network. I am using 6 beta 12 as on one of my other servers and am using the onboard Lan, a realtek RTL8111G. One of my other servers has a realtek RTL8111E (running unraid 5.0.5) and has no problems at all. I can connect to the internet through the bios and update the firmware on my board, an asrock H81M-HDS.

I had a problem a couple weeks back when I replaced a board on another of my servers and the nic would not connect to my network. It was an intel nic and updating from unraid 5 to 6 beta 12 solved that problem.

My network.cfg file on the new server is the same as on my two other servers in my home:

# Generated settings:

USE_DHCP="no"

IPADDR="10.0.1.15"

NETMASK="255.255.255.0"

GATEWAY="10.0.1.1"

DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="no"

DNS_SERVER1="10.0.1.1"

DNS_SERVER2=""

DNS_SERVER3=""

the only difference in the network.cfg files are that the other two servers are:  10.0.1.16 and 10.0.1.17

the new server is assigned 10.0.1.15

ethtool eth0  comes back with no connection detected.

any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

I only have one onboard lan.

I did the ifconfig eth0 up, that seems to bring eth0 back alive upon doing so. But only brings it back in namesake via ifconfig. All networking functionality still does not work. On reboot eht0 dissapears again.....

How do I get it to be up all the time automatically from boot?

I even installed the last stable 5.x and it does the same thing.

Thanks

ok I seemed to solve this.

I threw out my network.cfg file and re installed the original, unmodified one. It then stared up and got on my network just fine as "tower". I then modified the network settings through the web gui and all seems to work fine.

What I did before was copy my network.config file from another one of my working servers to the new one and changed the 16 in 10.0.1.16 to 15. For whatever reason this would not work, I had to start clean. So, I am up and running with 6 beta 14.

Thanks

ok I seemed to solve this.

I threw out my network.cfg file and re installed the original, unmodified one. It then stared up and got on my network just fine as "tower". I then modified the network settings through the web gui and all seems to work fine.

What I did before was copy my network.config file from another one of my working servers to the new one and changed the 16 in 10.0.1.16 to 15. For whatever reason this would not work, I had to start clean. So, I am up and running with 6 beta 14.

Thanks

Depending on how you edited it you might have broken it. You must use an editor that will produce Linux-compatible line-endings for many things in unRAID. Windows Notepad, for example, won't work.

Archived