unRaid Shares & User Security

Hey,

I am trying to setup Shares with Security as to which user can access what Folder etc however i am unable to get it setup correctly. I created a share 'test' and also created a share 'test' and set it to Secure & Gave user 'Test' Read/Write permission. However when i go to my tower and try to copy files to the 'Test' DIR i am unable to do it, it says Permission is needed to do so.

Does this mean i have to set a username &  password to login to my windows PC as well? And only that user would have access to the DIR?

I am trying to setup Shares with Security as to which user can access what Folder etc however i am unable to get it setup correctly. I created a share 'test' and also created a share 'test'

Not quite sure what you mean by this - you seem to be saying that you created the share twice! 

and set it to Secure & Gave user 'Test' Read/Write permission. However when i go to my tower and try to copy files to the 'Test' DIR i am unable to do it, it says Permission is needed to do so.

What are you going to the Tower on (is it your PC)?  If you have set a username/password on the share then you will need to specify this username/password when connecting to the share from the PC.

Does this mean i have to set a username &  password to login to my windows PC as well? And only that user would have access to the DIR?
Not strictly speaking, although that it was many want to do.  By default the username/password used on Windows are the credentials used to access unRAID unless you explicitly provide other ones.

Hey,

I am trying to setup Shares with Security as to which user can access what Folder etc however i am unable to get it setup correctly. I created a share 'test' and also created a share 'test' and set it to Secure & Gave user 'Test' Read/Write permission. However when i go to my tower and try to copy files to the 'Test' DIR i am unable to do it, it says Permission is needed to do so.

Yes, only the user "Test" on the windows box would be able to write to the directory (although there are ways to write to a share using a different user from windows)

I am trying to setup Shares with Security as to which user can access what Folder etc however i am unable to get it setup correctly. I created a share 'test' and also created a share 'test'

- I am sorry, i meant i created a Share named 'Test' & a user named 'Test' as well.

and set it to Secure & Gave user 'Test' Read/Write permission. However when i go to my tower and try to copy files to the 'Test' DIR i am unable to do it, it says Permission is needed to do so.

What are you going to the Tower on (is it your PC)?  If you have set a username/password on the share then you will need to specify this username/password when connecting to the share from the PC.

- Yes, i am trying to access the 'Test' share from Windows PC, however it does not ask me for a login, it just opens the 'Test' share but i am unable to copy and files to it.

Yea, thats what i thought so, however it does not give me any prompt to login, so how do i access it as 'root' or any other user?

EDIT:

Instead of 'test' user if i name it the same as my windows pc username (windows pc does not have a password set) then i can access the share fine and copy files too. Does this mean i have to add every user on the network as their PC name?

Yea, thats what i thought so, however it does not give me any prompt to login, so how do i access it as 'root' or any other user?

EDIT:

Instead of 'test' user if i name it the same as my windows pc username (windows pc does not have a password set) then i can access the share fine and copy files too. Does this mean i have to add every user on the network as their PC name?

Depends on what share security you set.

Public - anyone can read or write, even users (guests) that don't have unRAID accounts.

Secure - anyone can read, even users (guests) that don't have unRAID accounts, but only specified unRAID users can write.

Private - only specified unRAID users can read or write.

Also, Windows only allows one "login" per network resource. If you access a share with one username, you won't get a prompt to allow you to login as a different user. This is true even if you don't login at all, since it will be using your Windows username when it tries to access, and will get the shares that user has access to, which may be only Public shares if that user doesn't exist on unRAID.

One way to work around this Windows limitation is to refer to the network resource by name, and also refer to it by IP. Windows will consider these to be different network resources and will allow them to have separate logins.

You can also make a share hidden. This means it won't show up if you try to browse to it, but you can still access (depending on security) if you specify the path.

One way to work around this Windows limitation is to refer to the network resource by name, and also refer to it by IP. Windows will consider these to be different network resources and will allow them to have separate logins.

- What do you mean by this? Are you referring to Workgroups?

Isint there a plugin or something that would make this whole shares & access process simplier? Maybe something which would prompt a login everytime a DIR is tried to access?

Instead of saying \\Tower\Sharename, for example, I would say \\IPaddress\Sharename. Windows will then prompt for a login to access this "different" network resource specified as \\IPaddress.

It doesn't prompt for a login when I just say \\Tower\Sharename because the network resource \\Tower has already been given access to \\Tower with my Windows user name.

This is really more about how Windows works, so not much can be done about it from the unRAID side of things.

All right i get it, and how exactly does thie hidden folder work? If i set a Share as Hidden how do i access it? Or who all can access it? Do the same rules apply to this as well, same read/write rules? Just that its hidden correct?

All right i get it, and how exactly does thie hidden folder work? If i set a Share as Hidden how do i access it? Or who all can access it? Do the same rules apply to this as well, same read/write rules? Just that its hidden correct?

Yes. If you try to find it by browsing the network, it won't appear because it is hidden. You can still access it if you know the path to use, for example \\Tower\secretshare.

Some more reading about all this from Limetech