Rebuilding parity bits on parity drive.

exist2resist

So I messed up and moved some data off a drive while the array was down.

Now the server is reporting "Invalid Data Content" for the said disk status.

It's not faulty or invalid, I moved data and formatted the drive.

Everytime I boot up now it attempts to rebuild the parity.

Can someone tell me if the option "Rebuild will start Data-Rebuild." in Array Operations will rebuild the disk in question (invalid data disk) or the actual parity disk?

Rebuild would rebuild the data disk.

If unRAID is saying Invalid Data Content, then it thinks you need to rebuild the drive. What I don't understand is how it got that idea. Did you remove the drive at some point?

How did you move data off a drive with the array down? Did you take it out and put it in another computer, or did you do something at the command line? Better explain exactly what you did and maybe even post a screenshot.

Your question is not clear ...

"... Everytime I boot up now it attempts to rebuild the parity "  implies you don't have good parity.

BUT

"Rebuild will start Data-Rebuild" is the message you'll see if you've replaced a faulty disk, which will cause that disk to be rebuilt.

Why do you think it wants to rebuild parity?

Describe in more detail exactly what message(s) you're getting and when.

(Screenshots would be helpful)

Rebuild would rebuild the data disk.

If unRAID is saying Invalid Data Content, then it thinks you need to rebuild the drive. What I don't understand is how it got that idea. Did you remove the drive at some point?

How did you move data off a drive with the array down? Did you take it out and put it in another computer, or did you do something at the command line? Better explain exactly what you did and maybe even post a screenshot.

I stopped the array, mounted the disk manually via ssh and moved data off it.

Your question is not clear ...

"... Everytime I boot up now it attempts to rebuild the parity "  implies you don't have good parity.

BUT

"Rebuild will start Data-Rebuild" is the message you'll see if you've replaced a faulty disk, which will cause that disk to be rebuilt.

Why do you think it wants to rebuild parity?

Describe in more detail exactly what message(s) you're getting and when.

(Screenshots would be helpful)

What I want to to do is essentially punt the existing data on the parity drive, and then rebuild the data on parity drive from scratch using the existing state of data in my array.

What I'm thinking of doing is stopping the array, formatting the parity drive, and starting the array with the blank disk.

Will this rebuild the parity bits on the parity drive?

Just Stop the array; do a New Config ... being CERTAIN you assign the correct drive as parity [safest thing to do is just reassign all the drives in the same position they were in];  and then Start the array.

That will do a new parity sync.

The drives are assigned to the right spot, i never re assigned any of them.

In the array operations I can not do a parity check correcting parity as one of the drives is reporting invalid data content and the option is not available.

l2ZIYRi.png

Your system shows valid parity, so if you click ReBuild it will rebuild drive 3 with the last data it "knows" about using the other drives plus parity.    This will revert it to the state before you made changes "offline" (and "outside" of UnRAID's control).

Whatever you did to the drive (#3) you've got it in a state now where UnRAID doesn't think it's a valid drive, so it won't allow you to do a parity check that would eliminate the ability to do a rebuild.    If you do NOT want to rebuild the data, then just do a New Config as I noted earlier, and that should do what you want -- but of course any data on disk #3 will then be lost.

Another alternative is to do a New Config, but do NOT include disk #3 in the new configuration.    Then let it do a parity sync -- and meanwhile you can attempt to recover any data you might want from #3 on another system.    Or you could simply run a pre-clear on it to confirm it's still a good drive; and then just add it to the array later, after the initial parity sync has completed.

... what entails performing a New Config?

Just what it says.  Go to the Utils Menu, and select New Config.

It clears your current UnRAID configuration ... so you are basically starting over.  Then you simply assign your drives; and when you Start the array it will do an initial parity sync.

Archived