40+ TB of unRAID setup, want to add a new drive and avoid a long downtime?

Try running preclear with the -b, -w -r commands.  It doesn't limit the speed of preclear per-say but it does slow it down since you are limiting the read/writes and buffer to specific memory amounts.  That might allow access to your array to be more responsive while doing a preclear.  It might also do nothing but would be an option to try.

Try running preclear with the -b, -w -r commands.  It doesn't limit the speed of preclear per-say but it does slow it down since you are limiting the read/writes and buffer to specific memory amounts.  That might allow access to your array to be more responsive while doing a preclear.  It might also do nothing but would be an option to try.

thanks Bob, but I will stick to preclearing the other drive outside my unRAID box.  I will just download the free version of unRAID on a USB, and then use a USB enclosure with the HDD, connect it to my PC, and bypass both the unRAID and the USB to a VM, and do the preclearing there.

you think this will work?

thanks Bob, but I will stick to preclearing the other drive outside my unRAID box.  I will just download the free version of unRAID on a USB, and then use a USB enclosure with the HDD, connect it to my PC, and bypass both the unRAID and the USB to a VM, and do the preclearing there.

you think this will work?

When I tried to preclear a disk via USB 3.0 on a Windows Host/unRAID 5.0 VM I got 50-60 MB/s speed (so slow) and the drive overheated because is was manufactured as an external drive.  Had I put an internal drive into a USB encloser with a fan it likely would have finished - but I do not know that for sure.

What I usually do is boot my desktop PC with unRAID free 5.0 and run preclear from there.  Since I have a laptop now the desktop is powered off 95% of the time so it is available for preclears.  When I run from the desktop I use a SATA cable and get full speed preclears.

Agree that using a direct SATA connection is MUCH better than using USB.  Other than that, it's certainly not a bad idea to just use another system for the pre-clears.

You can make it really easy to do this by adding an eSATA bracket to your desktop, as long as you have an unused internal SATA port.

...meant to provide these links: 

e-SATA bracket with a single data output:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?seq=1&kpid=7637&format=2&p_id=7637&CAWELAID=1329454711&CAGPSPN=pla%26catargetid=320013720000066114%26cadevice=c&gclid=CPq_yN365MQCFQcpaQodWBUAVg

e-SATA bracket with power in addition to data output:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Ports-eSATA-4-Pin-Power-PCI-Bracket-Slot-SATA-Cable-SC2-/180695788621

The first is all you need if you have an external e-SATA docking unit with its own power.  The second is convenient if you also need power.

Archived