Unraid 6.0 system hangup after spinup

nidi

Hello guys,

I recently upgraded to the 6.0 beta.

previously had some issues with higher than 2.2 TB drives.

the 6.0 solved that but system hangs after I select the STart Button on the WebGui.

no connection, can't shut down the system.

what can I do?

any help appreciated

Michael

Give us more information:

From what version did you upgrade?

How did you upgrade?

What problems with > 2.2TB drives?

Did your ver 6 install ever work?

Did you add new drives larger than 2.2TB that had not be precleared using the pre-clear script?    (If you don't know what the 'pre-clear' script is, the answer is "No".)

By the way, adding new drives can cause the system to be unresponsive for a while.  How long has your system been comatose?

upgraded from 5.0.5.

USB stick - first did a backup of old system

- copied 6.0beta (latest) to USB , left key intact from old version

- I was never able to get more than 2.2 TB from my drives with 5.0.5

- changed SAS-SATA3 HBA card to LSI SAS 9300-8i

- version 6 started (WebGUI) until I configured the drives (3x 6TB , 2x8TB)

and hit the start button

Whole System freezes and WebGUI has no connection.

I can input commands on the server but it's unresponsive

preclear, have never heard of that, never added new drives, since the old system 5.0.5. didn't accept drives >2.2tb

Can you tell me how to perform this fuction, please?

your help is much appreciated

Michael

upgraded from 5.0.5.

USB stick - first did a backup of old system

- copied 6.0beta (latest) to USB , left key intact from old version

- I was never able to get more than 2.2 TB from my drives with 5.0.5

- changed SAS-SATA3 HBA card to LSI SAS 9300-8i

- version 6 started (WebGUI) until I configured the drives (3x 6TB , 2x8TB)

and hit the start button

Whole System freezes and WebGUI has no connection.

I can input commands on the server but it's unresponsive

preclear, have never heard of that, never added new drives, since the old system 5.0.5. didn't accept drives >2.2tb

Can you tell me how to perform this fuction, please?

your help is much appreciated

Michael

OK, from your description, you added an 8TB parity drive, an 8tb data drive and three 6TB data drives.  And, none of these drives were precleared.  (See here for an explanation of what the pre-clear script does:      http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2817.0    )  This means that each of these drives has to conpletely over-written with zero's before any of the drives can be brought online. 

Now, I have never added a drive to an unRAID server that had not been precleared.  (This is a note of disclosure!)  But I seem top recall, that the server tends to be very unresponsive while it goes through this process.  With 8TB drives, the period of time is going to be extensive--- an absolute minimum of sixteen hours and doing five disks at once, it will probably take considerably longer.

• 3 weeks later...

OK,

thanks for all you guys helping me.

it works now.

I had to wipe the discs blank with shread or dd.

after that I was able to format the discs and everything was ok.

maybe a separate button to wipe the discs can be included in the menu?

Thanks

Michael

OK,

thanks for all you guys helping me.

it works now.

I had to wipe the discs blank with shread or dd.

after that I was able to format the discs and everything was ok.

maybe a separate button to wipe the discs can be included in the menu?

Thanks

Michael

Never was clear what your problems were, since v5 does support disks >2.2TB, and your "solution" is certainly not the standard way of doing things.

In fact, I would guess that your solution was totally irrelevant. With a New Config it is not necessary for a disk to be clear, and clearing a disk with dd would not prevent unRAID from clearing it again if you were not doing a New Config.

I guess we'll never know.

Suggest you seek further advice if you have any problems, instead of coming up with your own solutions. It can be pretty easy to lose data if you don't know what you are doing.

Archived