Starting from scratch

Here is the short version of my story...

I created an unRAID box that I made several mistakes in creating (file structure, to many shares, installing plugins wrong, etc.).  I want to erase all of the data, upgrade to 6.X and start from scratch.  I currently have a 3TB parity, 1 TB cache and 3 data drives (3TB, 3TB, and 2TB).  I want to upgrade the parity to a 4TB move the 3TB (old_ parity) to the array and replace the 2TB with a 3TB (being 4TB parity, 1TB cache and 3TBx4 in the array).

What is the best way to finish everything here?  Do I need to rerun the Pre_Clear on all drives or only the new ones?

Thanks for the help/wisdom!

You don't HAVE to run pre-clear on any drives.  If you have new drives you want to test with pre-clear before creating the array, do that first.

Once you're ready to build the actual array;  just do a New Config; assign your drives as you want [4 data drives, parity, and cache]; set the desired file system (v6 defaults to XFS); and then Start the array.  Check the Format button if there are any unformatted drives [if they were previously Reiser and you've select XFS this will be necessary].

After you Start the array, it will do a parity sync.  When that finishes, run a Parity Check to confirm all is well.

Done :-)

Note:  If any of the drives already had the correct file system and you didn't clear them again, they will still have any previous data on them => simply delete those files after everything is otherwise ready.

Archived