Drives Being Throttled - UnRaid WebGUI Unusable

So i had a drive start to act up, so i was going to disable it and add another one in but added an old one that had errors in the past on accident.  But miraculously the drive worked for several days without error so i just let it be.  Now I have 3 disks + 1 Parity and  my HD LED on my case hasnt turned off in over 24 hours(unless i force spin down the drives).

The Unraid GUI is unusable, every page takes 5 minutes to load if it ever loads. 

The Web GUI says that my CPU is at 100%, but if i check with top via  Telnet it shows only 1-2% being used by Python.

No formatting, no parity, no anything is being shown as being performed, the WebGui says the parity is valid.  But there is something going on that is maxing out the system hardcore, so it cant stream video or even display the web gui...

I dont even know where to begin to fix this...

The loop was normal for v5, when the array was stopped and either Dynamix or SimpleFeatures was loaded and auto refreshing the Main screen, causing an unload and reload of the unRAID driver and inventory.  Very annoying 'feature'!

I'm afraid putting that bad drive back in was a big mistake, especially if it *looked* like it was working, but really wasn't.  Drive 1 does not have a recognizable Reiser file system now, at least partly because of disk errors, but now partly because the system actually tried to run with it, and ran a parity check which supposedly *corrected* many parity errors, but was actually corrupting the virtual Disk 1.  I think Disk 1 may still be recoverable, but once you have replaced disk 1 with a good drive, and rebuilt it, you will probably have some serious reiserfsck work to do, with possible un-fixable file corruption also.  Please remove Disk 1 as soon as possible, don't try to do anything at all with it!  It can only further corrupt the true Disk 1 image.  Cancel any parity checks instantly.

Your flash drive may be corrupt

Apr 18 19:42:19 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sda1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

Probably the reason your disk health plugin is failing to install.

Apr 18 19:42:32 Tower logger: installing plugin: dynamix.disk.health-2.1.3-noarch-bergware
Apr 18 19:42:32 Tower logger: 
Apr 18 19:42:32 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file(): /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.disk.health-2.1.3-noarch-bergware.plg:1: parser error : Document is empty in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13
Apr 18 19:42:32 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file():  in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13
Apr 18 19:42:32 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file(): ^ in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13
Apr 18 19:42:32 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file(): /boot/config/plugins/dynamix.disk.health-2.1.3-noarch-bergware.plg:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13
Apr 18 19:42:32 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file():  in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13
Apr 18 19:42:32 Tower logger: Warning: simplexml_load_file(): ^ in /usr/local/sbin/installplg on line 13
Apr 18 19:42:32 Tower logger:  xml parse error

Which is kind of ironic, since you are having disk problems

Apr 18 19:42:46 Tower emhttp: shcmd (16): mkdir /mnt/disk1
Apr 18 19:42:46 Tower emhttp: shcmd (17): set -o pipefail ; mount -t reiserfs -o user_xattr,acl,noatime,nodiratime /dev/md1 /mnt/disk1 |& logger
Apr 18 19:42:46 Tower logger: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md1,
Apr 18 19:42:46 Tower logger:        missing codepage or helper program, or other error
Apr 18 19:42:46 Tower logger:        In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
Apr 18 19:42:46 Tower logger:        dmesg | tail  or so
Apr 18 19:42:46 Tower logger: 
Apr 18 19:42:46 Tower emhttp: _shcmd: shcmd (17): exit status: 32
Apr 18 19:42:46 Tower emhttp: disk1 mount error: 32
Apr 18 19:42:46 Tower emhttp: shcmd (18): rmdir /mnt/disk1
Apr 18 19:42:46 Tower kernel: REISERFS warning (device md1): sh-2021 reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on md1

Did you stop the array before shutting down / rebooting?

Apr 18 19:43:23 Tower emhttp: unclean shutdown detected

If you did, then that would also indicate a corrupt flash because unRAID didn't record the run status on the flash and started a correcting parity check.

Apr 18 19:43:23 Tower kernel: mdcmd (19): check CORRECT
Apr 18 19:43:23 Tower kernel: md: recovery thread woken up ...
Apr 18 19:43:23 Tower kernel: md: recovery thread checking parity...

A lot of parity corrections

Apr 18 19:43:28 Tower kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=18464
Apr 18 19:43:28 Tower kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=18472
Apr 18 19:43:28 Tower kernel: md: correcting parity, sector=19256
Apr 18 19:43:28 Tower kernel: md: correcting parity, stopped logging

A lot of read errors on disk1

Apr 18 19:45:00 Tower kernel: md: disk1 read error, sector=1479768
Apr 18 19:45:00 Tower kernel: md: disk1 read error, sector=1479776
Apr 18 19:45:00 Tower kernel: md: disk1 read error, sector=1479784
Apr 18 19:45:00 Tower kernel: md: disk1 read error, sector=1480728

And more similar later on.

Did you hot swap when you replaced the drives?

Maybe a screenshot would help clarify things. Definitely one or more drive problems. Maybe also post a smart report from the problem drive.

A few responses already while I was preparing this. One other thing I would add is put your flash in your PC and let it checkdisk.

Also, the current stable version is 5.0.6 but don't bother with that for now.

Apr 18 19:42:40 Tower emhttp: unRAID System Management Utility version 5.0

The loop was normal for v5, when the array was stopped and either Dynamix or SimpleFeatures was loaded and auto refreshing the Main screen, causing an unload and reload of the unRAID driver and inventory.  Very annoying 'feature'!

I'm afraid putting that bad drive back in was a big mistake, especially if it *looked* like it was working, but really wasn't.  Drive 1 does not have a recognizable Reiser file system now, at least partly because of disk errors, but now partly because the system actually tried to run with it, and ran a parity check which supposedly *corrected* many parity errors, but was actually corrupting the virtual Disk 1.  I think Disk 1 may still be recoverable, but once you have replaced disk 1 with a good drive, and rebuilt it, you will probably have some serious reiserfsck work to do, with possible un-fixable file corruption also.  Please remove Disk 1 as soon as possible, don't try to do anything at all with it!  It can only further corrupt the true Disk 1 image.  Cancel any parity checks instantly.

Sorry i forgot to mention i zero'd out Disk 1 in an attempt to kill the non stop parity checks from happening, because they would start when UnRaid did and the WebGui was so slow i couldnt stop them.  I actually unassociated Disk 1 yesterday, so i have no idea why its back in the array at all...

Sorry i forgot to mention i zero'd out Disk 1 in an attempt to kill the non stop parity checks from happening, because they would start when UnRaid did and the WebGui was so slow i couldnt stop them.  I actually unassociated Disk 1 yesterday, so i have no idea why its back in the array at all...

Probably because your flash is corrupt and so unRAID cannot save any configuration changes.