Will V6 write faster?

I haven't done any careful benchmark or tried to quantify it in anyways, but using xfs is much smoother and file operations seem snappier. Enough to make me want to convert as many of my disks to xfs as I can. Here's where I currently am:

hujJQQ0.png

I see there are no temperature readings on the WebGui. I know they are there and being recorded, because it is part of the SMART tech, so why doesn't the Web show them?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonus point if you can guess what file operation is currently going on in that picture and the disk #s involved.

The reads/writes pretty much paint the picture. After a 15 hour copy, temps came back once array was reset. I forgot how long it takes to copy from one disk to another in the same machine. My conversion to XFS will take over a week most likely. I can start another copy, but that would really be pushing the controller(s).

Bonus point if you can guess what file operation is currently going on in that picture and the disk #s involved.

The reads/writes pretty much paint the picture. After a 15 hour copy, temps came back once array was reset. I forgot how long it takes to copy from one disk to another in the same machine. My conversion to XFS will take over a week most likely. I can start another copy, but that would really be pushing the controller(s).

One odd thing I have noticed is when I created a folder on a disk share it shows up as a samba share in Windows automatically. Is that supposed to happen? It even shows up in the "shares" list off the webgui.

One odd thing I have noticed is when I created a folder on a disk share it shows up as a samba share in Windows automatically. Is that supposed to happen? It even shows up in the "shares" list off the webgui.

The drive temps are not even, since the drives are of different make/model/size/speed also their placement in the case affects their temps. The answer is in the read/write numbers :)

I was in the process of moving data from disk18 to the newly converted (to xfs) disk13.

Er, bottom-most reiserfs to third-from-bottom xfs.

The drive temps are not even, since the drives are of different make/model/size/speed also their placement in the case affects their temps. The answer is in the read/write numbers :)

I was in the process of moving data from disk18 to the newly converted (to xfs) disk13.

Er, bottom-most reiserfs to third-from-bottom xfs.

Just read my first sentence. Not sure how you missed that.

• 3 months later...

The GUI in v6 is not only much improved with more features, it is also much quicker. It never seems to go away for a while before finally loading a page.

If you are interested in even better performance, I created a plugin which installs zend OPcache. It allows PHP to cache code and avoids the re-compiling of the same code over and over again.

This is the plugin URL: https://github.com/bergware/dynamix/raw/master/unRAIDv6/dynamix.zend.opcache.plg

In my case the "snappy" became even more "snappier"  :)

Hi bonienl,

Does this need to be updated for the new version of PHP in 6.1?

Also, is there a reason you aren't tracking this on your Dynamix plugins post?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.0

It is hard to find this url :)

Thanks!

The GUI in v6 is not only much improved with more features, it is also much quicker. It never seems to go away for a while before finally loading a page.

If you are interested in even better performance, I created a plugin which installs zend OPcache. It allows PHP to cache code and avoids the re-compiling of the same code over and over again.

This is the plugin URL: https://github.com/bergware/dynamix/raw/master/unRAIDv6/dynamix.zend.opcache.plg

In my case the "snappy" became even more "snappier"  :)

Hi bonienl,

Does this need to be updated for the new version of PHP in 6.1?

Also, is there a reason you aren't tracking this on your Dynamix plugins post?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36543.0

It is hard to find this url :)

Thanks!

This plugin works both in v6.0 and v6.1 (they both use PHP version 5.4.x).

It is an unofficial plugin which I created for myself, it is buried a little purposely... but feel free to use it.