Migrating current 5.0.5 setup to new hardware

I currently have UnRAID 5.0.5 running on a HP Microserver N36L but have acquired a Gen 8 1610T Microserver and wish to port my current disk array (2 x 2TB Hitachi plus 2 x 4TB HGST plus a 500gb WD Black cache drive) to the new hardware without losing the existing data. 

Can I transplant the existing OS and key on the old USB to the new box or do I have to do a fresh install with a different key on a new USB?  If it's the latter will it be able to see the existing array config?

I have successfully upgraded from one UnRAID version to another on the same hardware before but this is a bit different.

For anyone with HP Microserver Gen8 experience out there is there any special tweaks needed in the BIOS for UnRAID to work?

I currently have UnRAID 5.0.5 running on a HP Microserver N36L but have acquired a Gen 8 1610T Microserver and wish to port my current disk array (2 x 2TB Hitachi plus 2 x 4TB HGST plus a 500gb WD Black cache drive) to the new hardware without losing the existing data. 

Can I transplant the existing OS and key on the old USB to the new box or do I have to do a fresh install with a different key on a new USB?  If it's the latter will it be able to see the existing array config?

I have successfully upgraded from one UnRAID version to another on the same hardware before but this is a bit different.

So long as there aren't any issues or incompatibilities with the new hardware (and that is rare), it should start up just the same as before.  unRAID always boots as if it's a brand new system to figure out, even without any hardware changes.

OK but think maybe I should try a dummy install with a free version of UnRAID, another USB, and a spare disk or two first.

IIRC physical drive order does not matter in 5.0.5 so is there anything I need to do config wise to transplant the array once I have had my play with the dummy install?

Is it worth going to v6 in the process?

OK but think maybe I should try a dummy install with a free version of UnRAID, another USB, and a spare disk or two first.

IIRC physical drive order does not matter in 5.0.5 so is there anything I need to do config wise to transplant the array once I have had my play with the dummy install?

Nope!  Should just work!

Is it worth going to v6 in the process?

Just my opinion, but it's always best to make one change at a time, especially since both of these changes are relatively major.  I'd change the hardware first, make sure everything is working correctly, make any backups, then upgrade the software.  Use the Upgrading to UnRAID v6 guide.

Just my opinion, but it's always best to make one change at a time, especially since both of these changes are relatively major.  I'd change the hardware first, make sure everything is working correctly, make any backups, then upgrade the software.  Use the Upgrading to UnRAID v6 guide.

If only everyone would follow this advice. I don't know how many threads I've seen where the user has no idea what all they changed and in what order before they noticed a problem.

Definitely agree => take one step at a time.

No need to test with a different key => Just move your current disks to the new system and boot with your existing key.    It's almost certain it will simply boot up as normal.

THEN you can consider an upgrade to v6 ... following the guide noted above  :)

Thanks for the advice everybody, I will follow it I promise.

On a related note what does everybody use for backup?  So far I have just been manually copying stuff across to an external drive connected to one of my networked PCs but it is a tedious process.  I have a couple of 4TB USB3 enclosures but not one single drive large enough for all my data.

I am toying with the idea of making my N36L a backup server once I have finished migrating to the G1610T box.

... I am toying with the idea of making my N36L a backup server once I have finished migrating to the G1610T box.

That's exactly what I'd suggest.

I have 3 servers ... the 3rd one has enough capacity (45TB) to backup both of the others; so I have an automated backup run once/week to do exactly that.    It's by far the simplest way to maintain good backups.

... and with the new 8TB Seagate SMR drives, you can create plenty of capacity with just a few drives.

FYI, you may want to read this post r.e. the new shingled drives.    It's not yet complete, but has a good bit of info you may find useful regarding their use in an UnRAID server.    I believe Daniel (who did a LOT of testing with these drives while setting up a very nice backup server) is going to add a detailed summary of that testing in the relatively near future.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39526.0

A quick Bottom Line:  The 8TB Seagates work just fine in UnRAID.

A quick Bottom Line:  The 8TB Seagates work just fine in UnRAID.

Good to know!  I understand they aren't performance demons but for archiving/backup purposes that won't really matter.  I can squeeze more drives into the N36L (my most has been 7) than the G1610T but want to use the G1610T as my primary for the improved hardware performance.

I believe there may be a Docker for this, but what I use in a Windows program called SyncBack => I have it run automatically at a scheduled time, with another scheduled task that runs just before it to turn on the backup server.    Works perfectly as long as you have a Windows PC  [i know some folks run a Windows VM on their UnRAID box and let it run the backup there].