Win8 VM Problems

monkeytsar

Hi, I'm having issues with a Win8 VM. I'm currently using Win8 with an AMD 6450 passed through to run Kodi (long story) in my living room, I have it set to never go to sleep and never turn off the display and everything is fine while I'm using it but I like to keep it powered on all the time so that its easy for the kids and wife to use however whenever I turn off the tv it seems to do something strange to the Win8 VM that takes out the unraid host and all dockers and VMs, the only way to get it back is to power cycle the host. Until recently (for 6 Months+)I was using Kodibuntu passing through the same graphics cards etc and never had an issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi, I'm having issues with a Win8 VM. I'm currently using Win8 with an AMD 6450 passed through to run Kodi (long story) in my living room, I have it set to never go to sleep and never turn off the display and everything is fine while I'm using it but I like to keep it powered on all the time so that its easy for the kids and wife to use however whenever I turn off the tv it seems to do something strange to the Win8 VM that takes out the unraid host and all dockers and VMs, the only way to get it back is to power cycle the host. Until recently (for 6 Months+)I was using Kodibuntu passing through the same graphics cards etc and never had an issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

?!?  You turn off the TV and that causes the issue?  That's pretty strange. What is the display cable you're using?  HDMI?  Can you try VGA OE dvi just to see if the behavior changes?

?!?  You turn off the TV and that causes the issue?  That's pretty strange. What is the display cable you're using?  HDMI?  Can you try VGA OE dvi just to see if the behavior changes?

Yeah its a strange one, and it is via HDMI. I've changed the system type from 440FX to Q35 and so far it seems to have fixed the issue, in fact the whole thing seems a little bit more stable and a bit faster.

I let you know if it still ok tomorrow, i just need it to keep me going until the openelec VM is ready.

Ok it's still happening but this time it did it while the tv was on but the win8 vm had been idle for a while, i'v set the windows power settings to high performance and told it to never turn off the display and never go to sleep but its still killing the host. Any ideas?

I can't even get kodibuntu to reinstall now, if I have the machine set to q35 it never picks up the keyboard no matter how it's passed throught. And if I have it set to 440fx it it lets me use the keyboard but once I select install or live boot it gives me a blank screen or I get kernel panic!

I've never had these kinds of problems before and I've been using VMs since the early Beta's

is there a show command I can run that'll list all the hardware or should I just list it? I don't have any syslogs is there a way to set up logging or does it need to log to separate syllogism server?

You can click info on the webgui to get the motherboard and cpu information I require.

Here's the info.

Model: N/A

M/B: ASRock - Z77 Extreme4

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500S CPU @ 2.70GHz

Cache: 1024 kB, 256 kB, 6144 kB

Memory: 16384 MB (max. installable capacity 32 GB)

Network: bond0: IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation

eth0: 1000Mb/s - Full Duplex

eth1: 1000Mb/s - Full Duplex

Kernel: Linux 4.0.4-unRAID x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.0.1m

• 2 weeks later...

monkeystar - When you say the kvm is taking over the unraid, did you mean that the unraid is inaccessible on the LAN? I am not sure about the KVM going off though. Anyways, give this a try. In your kvm xml what is your network setting? if it is br0, it needs to change to vbr0. In my case this particular setting was working until b12 and the unraid would be unreachable on LAN until I rebooted it. Check this post here for more details. If this is not the issue, sorry I cannot be of more help now.

Here's the info.

Model: N/A

M/B: ASRock - Z77 Extreme4

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500S CPU @ 2.70GHz

Cache: 1024 kB, 256 kB, 6144 kB

Memory: 16384 MB (max. installable capacity 32 GB)

Network: bond0: IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation

eth0: 1000Mb/s - Full Duplex

eth1: 1000Mb/s - Full Duplex

Kernel: Linux 4.0.4-unRAID x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.0.1m

Archived