My motherboard died unexpectedly. How do I keep my files intact?

Just wanted to update this thread to say that my replacement mobo came (gigabyte 970 chipset and AMD FX 6300) and replacement was breeze.

I plopped down the mobo, the drives were recognized and assigned appropriately right away and all I had to do was reconstruct 1 drive and do a parity check to finalize.

Yippie!

Just wanted to update this thread to say that my replacement mobo came (gigabyte 970 chipset and AMD FX 6300) and replacement was breeze.

I plopped down the mobo, the drives were recognized and assigned appropriately right away and all I had to do was reconstruct 1 drive and do a parity check to finalize.

Yippie!

Well done mate.  No other OS I know of is so easy to change hardware.  An undersold feature, making it very easy to recover from hardware failure.

Did you upgrade to V6 at the same time?

Yippie!

Well done mate.  No other OS I know of is so easy to change hardware.  An undersold feature, making it very easy to recover from hardware failure.

Not yet because I have installed tvheadend and it took a loooooooot of tweaking to get it to work properly.

I will update to v6 when I move unraid to a virtual environment and use windows for recording.

Yippie!

Not yet because I have installed tvheadend and it took a loooooooot of tweaking to get it to work properly.

I will update to v6 when I move unraid to a virtual environment and use windows for recording.

Check out my sig, Mediabuild & TVHeadEnd plugin, just updated by Mettbrot & Docker by Saarg, took me all of an hour to get it all up and running.  It's much easier than it used to be! What tuners you using?

I have one WinTV-HVR-2255 and one older ATI 650 digital tuner.

I never got the ATI to get recognized in TVheadend.

I am not a big unix user, so I mostly stumbled until I got it to work (including having the tv guide info update automatically).

Do you have a fairly detailed step by step?

I have one WinTV-HVR-2255 and one older ATI 650 digital tuner.

I never got the ATI to get recognized in TVheadend.

I am not a big unix user, so I mostly stumbled until I got it to work (including having the tv guide info update automatically).

Do you have a fairly detailed step by step?

I've just check and I don't think Linux support is available for the ATI tuner. 

Essentially there are two step.

1.  Replace bzroot & bzimage on your flash drive and reboot

Then decide if you want to use Docker or Plugin.

Check my sig for links to everything you need.

... I can get a new 6 core AMD setup (with IMMOU) for about the same as just a board.

As long as your FX-6300 has ample "horsepower" for your needs, I'm sure that's a good choice for you.

But it's not an apples - apples comparison.  That 6-core FX-6300 barely outperforms a dual-core i3-4370 (PassMark of 5555 for the i3-4370; 6354 for the FX-6300);  has lower performance than most 4-core Haswell i5's;  and a LOT lower performance than any Haswell i7 ... and that's only considering the Socket 1150 Haswells (for which there are plenty of < $100 motherboards).    If you look at the 6-core Haswells, the FX-6300 has less than half of the performance.

And ALL of the Intel choices have FAR higher per/core performance ... so single-threaded applications would run much better on those CPU's.

I'm sure your system is fine for what you needed; but for anyone considering a low-cost build, you may want to consider that you can do some pretty nice low-cost Intel builds as well.  An i3-4170 (PassMark 5437) is only ~ $15 more than an FX-6300, has 86% of the total "horsepower" but more than 2.5 times the per/core processing capability while only using 54 watts ... compared to 95 watts for the FX-6300.    It would run cooler; be more energy efficient; significantly outperform the FX-6300 on single-threaded tasks; and if you ever needed more "horsepower" you could double it by simply swapping out the CPU for a Core i7.

... I can get a new 6 core AMD setup (with IMMOU) for about the same as just a board.

As long as your FX-6300 has ample "horsepower" for your needs, I'm sure that's a good choice for you.

But it's not an apples - apples comparison.  That 6-core FX-6300 barely outperforms a dual-core i3-4370 (PassMark of 5555 for the i3-4370; 6354 for the FX-6300);  has lower performance than most 4-core Haswell i5's;  and a LOT lower performance than any Haswell i7 ... and that's only considering the Socket 1150 Haswells (for which there are plenty of < $100 motherboards).    If you look at the 6-core Haswells, the FX-6300 has less than half of the performance.

And ALL of the Intel choices have FAR higher per/core performance ... so single-threaded applications would run much better on those CPU's.

I'm sure your system is fine for what you needed; but for anyone considering a low-cost build, you may want to consider that you can do some pretty nice low-cost Intel builds as well.  An i3-4170 (PassMark 5437) is only ~ $15 more than an FX-6300, has 86% of the total "horsepower" but more than 2.5 times the per/core processing capability while only using 54 watts ... compared to 95 watts for the FX-6300.    It would run cooler; be more energy efficient; significantly outperform the FX-6300 on single-threaded tasks; and if you ever needed more "horsepower" you could double it by simply swapping out the CPU for a Core i7.

This may be true, but I am looking to virtualize several machines and a setup that could do Intel-Vt with hardware passthrough (if you can even find a board that actually does so, or even spec it in their hardware) is several times the cost of the IMMOU machine I built. You basically have to go with commercial hardware and xeon processor for a solution that works for sure. I am aware that there are consumer level Intel boards that may (or may not) support it semi-officially but finding out before hand is a major pain like pulling teeth.

The power consumption with a basic intel vt-vx system is comparable to the draw of the FX-6300. Although performance for intel is much better. The initial price tag is more than double what I paid (200$) for the CPU and MOBO... forget about i3 for Intel Vt-vx, you need i5 (in Haswell) or better or you are SOL.

Since performance is not a major issue, I went with the cheaper (and better documented) system.

All my other machines are intel though for the reasons you listed.

...  I am looking to virtualize several machines and a setup that could do Intel-Vt with hardware passthrough (if you can even find a board that actually does so, or even spec it in their hardware) is several times the cost of the IMMOU machine I built ...

"... several times the cost ..." ?? =>  It's true you have to go with an i5 to get vt-d, so it IS more expensive, but hardly "several times" as much.      A nice $80 motherboard  [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157512]  coupled with a $200  i5-4590  would cost $280 for the motherboard/CPU => about $80 more than the $200 you indicated you had paid, while providing 15% more total "horsepower" than the FX-6300 and more than 70% more "per core" processing power.

I agree, however, that for what you want to do the FX-6300 was a reasonable choice.

Archived