unRAID GUI Downloads Pretty Slow

archedraft

So anytime I use unRAID to update itself, or applications, or install dockers for the first time, it takes a pretty long time to download the files. My friends server that I manage (setup almost identical to mine other than hardware) downloads unRAID updates & dockers way faster than my server. We have the same ISP download / upload and all the settings are pretty much the same. Any thoughts on why it takes so long for my server to download things?

Any other downloads on your server consuming your bandwidth?

Not at the time of testing. I just updated both of our Plex dockers so that we get https! and my server took around 3-4 mins to download the new plex update whereas my friends server took all of 15 seconds  :(

It's not really a show stopper issue for me because it works just take a bit of time but that fact that i KNOW it can and should be faster drives me crazy!!! Anyone with suggestions would be much appreciated (No one here wants to see my on the national news running around in my underwear ranting about my server being too slow do they???  ::))

So just ran this speed test on both servers:

wget -O /dev/null http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test10.zip

My Server (Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller):

2015-06-05 10:52:06 (132 KB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [11536384/11536384]

Friend Server (Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection):

2015-06-05 10:55:43 (2.79 MB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [11536384/11536384]

Could it be that unRAID has a bad Realtek driver?

So just ran this speed test on both servers:

wget -O /dev/null http://speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com/downloads/test10.zip

My Server (Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller):

2015-06-05 10:52:06 (132 KB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [11536384/11536384]

Friend Server (Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection):

2015-06-05 10:55:43 (2.79 MB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [11536384/11536384]

Could it be that unRAID has a bad Realtek driver?

I've got a Realtek card in my server too running your test I get

2015-06-05 17:07:30 (2.49 MB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [11536384/11536384]

I think we have the same motherboard, so that may help you get to the root of the problem.

I think we have the same motherboard, so that may help you get to the root of the problem.

Thanks for testing! Would seem that the driver is just fine then. The only other difference that I can think of between the 2 servers I have been testing is mine is running a pfSense VM whereas the other server is being feed from a sepearte pfSense box. Is anyone currently running a pfSense VM and if so would you mind running that speed test above?

It might be a bad network cable (or port) stopping your LAN from working at full speed?  Gigbit LAN requires all 8 connectors in a cable to be working - If any of them are faulty it often silently degrades the LAN to 100Mbps or less.

I did not know that. I will switch out the cable and change the port tonight to verify it is not that. Good idea!

Thanks for testing! Would seem that the driver is just fine then. The only other difference that I can think of between the 2 servers I have been testing is mine is running a pfSense VM whereas the other server is being feed from a sepearte pfSense box. Is anyone currently running a pfSense VM and if so would you mind running that speed test above?

I never actually got around to setting up a pfSense VM, sorry archedraft, booted it up and it looked amazing, but I got terribly confused with where to go from there as I wanted to keep my current Router/Modem as it currently was and run pfSense as an access point to a VPN.

I never actually got around to setting up a pfSense VM, sorry archedraft, booted it up and it looked amazing, but I got terribly confused with where to go from there as I wanted to keep my current Router/Modem as it currently was and run pfSense as an access point to a VPN.

I understand, it took me a pretty long time before I got it setup the way I liked. It is defiantly not a weekend project if you haven't played with it before.

I did not know that. I will switch out the cable and change the port tonight to verify it is not that. Good idea!

Did you ever get this sorted arche?

Not yet, I did check that the port was not an issue but still need to try a new cable. Had an insanely busy weekend!

Did you ever get this sorted arche?

Not yet, I did check that the port was not an issue but still need to try a new cable. Had an insanely busy weekend!

No worries, I'm just being nosy...  ;)

Yeah, I really need to spend a little time on this because it is driving me crazy, even though it technically works, just knowing it shouldn't be that slow means something isn't working properly and I can not have that on my server!

Yeah, I really need to spend a little time on this because it is driving me crazy, even though it technically works, just knowing it shouldn't be that slow means something isn't working properly and I can not have that on my server!

Would be kind of funny if it was just the cable... nice and easy fix  ::)

It might be a bad network cable (or port) stopping your LAN from working at full speed?  Gigbit LAN requires all 8 connectors in a cable to be working - If any of them are faulty it often silently degrades the LAN to 100Mbps or less.

Changed multiple ports and cables but I am still getting really slow download speeds on my unRAID server.

2015-06-13 07:14:34 (305 KB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [11536384/11536384]

Another thought should by bridged VM's be slower also if unRAID is being slow? My VM's are getting my full download speeds is why I am asking but I am not sure on how the whole bridged network actually works...

Changed multiple ports and cables but I am still getting really slow download speeds on my unRAID server.

2015-06-13 07:14:34 (305 KB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [11536384/11536384]

Another thought should by bridged VM's be slower also if unRAID is being slow? My VM's are getting my full download speeds is why I am asking but I am not sure on how the whole bridged network actually works...

Only other thing I can think of to try archedraft is to get a spare HDD and install a Linux Distro or Windows and see if it's still a problem.

Yeah.

Hmmm well that's a good suggestion but one that will have to be tested at a later date. Also a pain in the butt because trying a different OS I will no longer have my pfsense VM running. Although I could just plug directly into the modem...

What did you want me to try?

I'm away till Tuesday having a romantic weekend away, but should be able to find 5 mins to VPN home :)

Yeah.

Hmmm well that's a good suggestion but one that will have to be tested at a later date. Also a pain in the butt because trying a different OS I will no longer have my pfsense VM running. Although I could just plug directly into the modem...

I'm away till Tuesday having a romantic weekend away, but should be able to find 5 mins to VPN home :)

Since we have to same system it would be interesting to see if you get slower download speeds if you stub your add on NIC card. Feel free to not try this until you get back however, I am in no rush.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39499.msg368812#msg368812

Yeah.

Since we have to same system it would be interesting to see if you get slower download speeds if you stub your add on NIC card. Feel free to not try this until you get back however, I am in no rush.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39499.msg368812#msg368812

I'm already doing that with my Intel NIC, you want me to try with the onboard?

Archived