1TB 2.5@7200 vs 2TB 2.5@5400

The Crucial BX100 is a nice option, too.  I'm very happy with mine, using a pair in a pool for my cache.  They're fast enough, and they have very low power consumption.  They were cheap too.

I've had great service from almost all the Crucial SSDs I've had, right from the C300 way back in the day.  Only duffer I had was the MX100 that kept locking up.  I still have old M4 drives that have been running 24/7 for years, and they're still trucking.

I'm also a big fan of Crucial.  Have a couple of M4's still around, quite a few MX100's, and a couple of MX200's.  I also have a fair number of Intel's, which are also exceptional drives (and they have a far better "toolkit" than Crucial provides for their drives).  The EVO 850 is the first Samsung I've bought ... but they're very well rated, so I thought I'd give one a try.

I have not, however, used any of the BX units ... I don't like the compromise they made in this series r.e. no dynamic write acceleration (SLC caching).    This makes the write speeds significantly slower than the MX200 units ... although admittedly still very fast.    They also don't support hardware accelerated encryption like the MX200's, but that's irrelevant for my usage (and for UnRAID).    Note that if you buy the 500GB or 1TB versions of the drive this doesn't really matter, since the writes are spread out among different layers and will be appreciably faster anyway ... nearing the performance of a unit with the SLC caching feature anyway.

I have not, however, used any of the BX units ... I don't like the compromise they made in this series r.e. no dynamic write acceleration (SLC caching).    This makes the write speeds significantly slower than the MX200 units ... although admittedly still very fast.    They also don't support hardware accelerated encryption like the MX200's, but that's irrelevant for my usage (and for UnRAID).    Note that if you buy the 500GB or 1TB versions of the drive this doesn't really matter, since the writes are spread out among different layers and will be appreciably faster anyway ... nearing the performance of a unit with the SLC caching feature anyway.

They're cheap for a reason, but in a btrfs cache pool they work very well.  Then again, I guess a pair of HDDs would work just fine too.  As far as I'm concerned with these, they are as quick or quicker than a WD Black 2.5", and use an awful lot less power, then I'm happy.