New Build Help

d4lions

After a week of screwing around with a memory issue (not using unbuffered ram) I finally have my machine up and running

Supermicro X9SCM-F + a high poiner Rocket Raid 2300 + IBM Raid card M1015+ Norco 24 bay server chassy

1 Seagate 8TB hybrid drives one for parity along with4 4TB HDs for storage

2 500GB Samsung SSD's for Cache

System comes up, installed the license for pro, rebooted

Trying to build the array

only SSD's show up nothing else is coming up

looks like none of the drives connected to the raid cards or MB are working

4 drives on MB connected with molex rev break out cable, another rev break out to rocket raid, and others connected via SAS cable to IBM

Any suggestions ?

Ok here is what I can debug so far

First Time booting up once the Memory issue was resolved

2 Raid cards

IBM Serveraid M1015 SAS/SATA Controller 46M0831  connected (SAS to SAS backplane of the Norco) 2 ports of the back panel = 4 bays (2 rows of the Norco)

Highpoint RocketRaid 2300 connected SAS to SATA (on 2300 card): Looks like these drives are tied to a forward vs reverse cable issue, and this is likely what is also wrong with drives connected from the backplane to the MB so I have ordered another 2 cables

2 SSD 500GB drivers for Cache pool connected directly to MB

Basically this is what is happening:

After booting only the SSD's show up.. I have disconnected the Rocket raid card and the MB via the wrong (fwd break out cable)

But the IBM card drivers should still show up ?

NORCO 4U Rack Mount 24 x Hot-Swappable SATA/SAS 6G Drive Bays Server Rack mount RPC-42

I was finally able to get into the bios of the M1015, and it does pick up the drives inside of the LSI bios for the IBM M1015 Raid card

However, Unraid doesn't see them at all

So the immediate issue looks like the M1015 card does see the drives in the BIOS, but does present them to the array in Unraid ?

This is definately a software issue at least the cables are working and it is picking up HDD's on different rows of the backplane.

Im missing something during the boot process, or there is a bios issue ?

Anyone ?

I don't have any personal experience with this hardware, but since nobody else has answered I'll give some thoughts.

I think there are others using that RAID card so you should be able to get it working.

There is probably some way in its BIOS to make the card present the disks as individual disks instead of trying to do some sort of RAID with them. That is what you need.

OK after pouring through the forum and a little trial and error..

I have flashed the M1015 IBM raid card to IR version per another post. by Madburg  Now FW is  20.10.1-0037 (APP-2.120.54-1235) / 15-APR-11

I can see the drives on  in the LSI bios, but again it does not show up in Unraid dashboard ?

I did based on the post from Madburg

What am I missing ?

LSI MegaRAID with SAS2008 chipsets

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015

2) Intel RS2WC080

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 chipset with the provided zip.

20.10.1-0037 (APP-2.120.54-1235) / 15-APR-11

Only iMR mode available.

LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB (Windows)

Linux Driver: megaraid_sas - supports the LSI SAS1078, SAS1078 GEN2, SAS1079 GEN2, SAS0073 and SAS0071 chipsets. Though is is an old version indeed. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

unRAID Support: Driver not included at this point.

Drive Spin Down support: YES (UPDATE: Added as of 5.0Beta7)

Drive Temp Readings: YES

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)

Update: Convert your LSI MegaRAID controller card with LSI SAS2008 chipset to a Plain SAS2008 controller card (IT or IR mode), will look and feel like a LSI SAS9211-8i, and will be ready to use with unRAID (BIG THANKS to KKM for creating the empty.bin, so you dont need to have to worry about which sbr to obtain and use.)

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015 (tested successfully)

2) Intel RS2WC080  (tested successfully)

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008 with the provided zip.

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P10).zip - 6.38 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

Please read the __READMEFIRST.txt file so you are clear as to all the steps and why it is important not to skip any steps.

Converting it follows all details in the post above for the LSI SAS2008 chipset (firmware release, support, etc.)

I did based on the post from Madburg

What am I missing ?

LSI MegaRAID with SAS2008 chipsets

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015

2) Intel RS2WC080

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 chipset with the provided zip.

20.10.1-0037 (APP-2.120.54-1235) / 15-APR-11

Only iMR mode available.

LSI MegaRAID SAS2008 Controller.zip - 5.32 MB (Windows)

Linux Driver: megaraid_sas - supports the LSI SAS1078, SAS1078 GEN2, SAS1079 GEN2, SAS0073 and SAS0071 chipsets. Though is is an old version indeed. (Thanks to "BRiT"s prior post)

unRAID Support: Driver not included at this point.

Drive Spin Down support: YES (UPDATE: Added as of 5.0Beta7)

Drive Temp Readings: YES

3TB Drive Support with this card: YES (UPDATE: 5.0Beta7 added 3TB Drive support)

Update: Convert your LSI MegaRAID controller card with LSI SAS2008 chipset to a Plain SAS2008 controller card (IT or IR mode), will look and feel like a LSI SAS9211-8i, and will be ready to use with unRAID (BIG THANKS to KKM for creating the empty.bin, so you dont need to have to worry about which sbr to obtain and use.)

1) IBM ServeRAID M1015 (tested successfully)

2) Intel RS2WC080  (tested successfully)

Please let me know (PM or post here) what Card you have successfully flashed with the LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008 with the provided zip.

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P10).zip - 6.38 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

LSI MegaRAID to SAS2008(P11).zip - 5.87 MB (DOS, via bootable usb key)

Please read the __READMEFIRST.txt file so you are clear as to all the steps and why it is important not to skip any steps.

Converting it follows all details in the post above for the LSI SAS2008 chipset (firmware release, support, etc.)

When you unzip the P11 zip file above you should find some .BAT files.  The 5IR.bat flashes IR mode the 5IT.bat flashes IT mode.  So following the instructions when you get to step 5 use the 5IT.bat file.  That is of course using the USBFlash drive method.  I've never done the efi method so that may be different.

Archived