[REQUEST] Support for ITE 8620E controller on Gigabyte H97 boards

FEATURE REQUEST : Adding drivers for ITE 8620E Super I/O chip on Gigabyte H97N-WIFI mITX board.

I have been speaking to Bonienl about why the Gigabyte H97N-WIFI board does not report any PWM fan controllers to the Dynamix V6 Fan Control plugin and his opinion is that drivers for the ITE 8620E chip are not in the current build of unRAID. I have since been advised that a compatible stand-alone IT87xx driver for this controller is available in the lm-sensors project albeit in an uncompiled form.

Since there are a few of us using this mITX board successfully with unRAID 6, I feel it would be useful to expand the included drivers to support the board. The board itself is excellent for unRAID as it features dual LAN and 6 SATA III ports.

I am more than happy to test any drivers for compatibility in my 6-rc4 server but I should advise that I do not have experience with Linux and compiling so would need instructions.

Daniel.

• 3 months later...

FEATURE REQUEST : Adding drivers for ITE 8620E Super I/O chip on Gigabyte H97N-WIFI mITX board.

I have been speaking to Bonienl about why the Gigabyte H97N-WIFI board does not report any PWM fan controllers to the Dynamix V6 Fan Control plugin and his opinion is that drivers for the ITE 8620E chip are not in the current build of unRAID. I have since been advised that a compatible stand-alone IT87xx driver for this controller is available in the lm-sensors project albeit in an uncompiled form.

Since there are a few of us using this mITX board successfully with unRAID 6, I feel it would be useful to expand the included drivers to support the board. The board itself is excellent for unRAID as it features dual LAN and 6 SATA III ports.

I am more than happy to test any drivers for compatibility in my 6-rc4 server but I should advise that I do not have experience with Linux and compiling so would need instructions.

Daniel.

This driver is already included in the unRaid linux kernel:

CONFIG_SENSORS_IT87:                                                                                                          ?
  ?                                                                                                                               ?
  ? If you say yes here you get support for ITE IT8705F, IT8712F,                                                                 ?
  ? IT8716F, IT8718F, IT8720F, IT8721F, IT8726F, IT8728F, IT8758E,                                                                ?
  ? IT8771E, IT8772E, IT8781F, IT8782F, IT8783E/F, IT8786E, IT8790E,                                                              ?
  ? IT8603E, IT8620E, and IT8623E sensor chips, and the SiS950 clone.                                                             ?
  ?                                                                                                                               ?
  ? This driver can also be built as a module.  If so, the module                                                                 ?
  ? will be called it87.

In the link you provided to the driver source, the page author states:

"The following drivers are also available in the latest version of the Linux kernel. The versions here may include new functionality not yet available in the kernel."

I guess that is the case here: that the driver is baked into the kernel, but perhaps it's not the latest?  The key words above are not yet.  As a matter of policy (and sanity) we greatly resist adding drivers to the unRaid kernel which are not in the kernel source tree.  We update the kernel fairly regularly, hence this drive should eventually get updated.

I quite understand.

Since making this request I have actually switched from Windows to Linux Mint so I have already come across how stable Linux distros will wait for certain newer features to appear in the kernel family they are using. It is good to know that this may simply resolve itself in the future so I will keep looking at the uNRAID changelog for kernel updates. I can then see what happens if I remove my modprobe edit and reboot.