ubuntu and my OCD

opentoe

I created the ubuntu VM today for the heck of it and oddly it installed this time. All the other times it froze at the first screen. After the install was done, the screen where it says the install is complete and hit restart to continue was frozen this time. I had to forcefully kill the VM. Restarted the VM and was able to see the ubuntu desktop but it was frozen again. Not sure why it started to even install this time, but I guess an RC level software we should expect this kind of behavior? Yes, I could start editing XML files, config files and custom making everything to try and get something to work but that just would circumvent unRaid's intention of automation and not benefit the community, right?

I'd like my younger brother who "knows" computers to be able to run unRaid, install a VM and run it all through the unRaid webgui. He doesn't even know how to use a command line. We are all after the same thing, right? I can understand some guys don't mind editing 50 files to get something to work and are happy with the results, but I'd love to promote unRaid to my fellow co-workers and say, "sure, you can install and run several VM's from just the webgui".

Is the unRaid team after this kind of automation and stability in the final release of V6 or is the team content with some bugs and some areas not %100? I only bring up these type questions because I have OCD and never saw unRaid throw in so many features so fast. I remember the old days where I waited a very long time for just V5 when I was at V4.7. I'd really want to contribute somehow, but I believe I do ask more questions then answer. :(

If you want logs from my ubuntu VM, I'll be glad to scrap them up and post them.

EDIT:

I scrapped up what I think are all the logs. Yes, they mostly are all Chinese to me and I don't speak Chinese. If you want something specific on why possibly ubuntu is not working or a fresh reboot or something, let me know.

EDIT#2:

I forcefully killed the VM. Restarted it and tried to view it via built in VNC viewer. What is odd, is I see the login prompt but none of my keyboard hits transfer over to the VM. I can't tell if the VM has crashed/froze or not because I do see the flashing cursor in the password field box, but I did ask for ubuntu to auto log me in. I'll give it another try.

I tried using VNC view program that I just downloaded and when I run that against my unRaid server using port 5700 it just crashes and disappears.

logs.zip

ubuntu_login.jpg.fbd0d882f1ad1f6c6b231cb6dc29c54c.jpg

I created the ubuntu VM today for the heck of it and oddly it installed this time. All the other times it froze at the first screen. After the install was done, the screen where it says the install is complete and hit restart to continue was frozen this time. I had to forcefully kill the VM. Restarted the VM and was able to see the ubuntu desktop but it was frozen again. Not sure why it started to even install this time, but I guess an RC level software we should expect this kind of behavior? Yes, I could start editing XML files, config files and custom making everything to try and get something to work but that just would circumvent unRaid's intention of automation and not benefit the community, right?

I'd like my younger brother who "knows" computers to be able to run unRaid, install a VM and run it all through the unRaid webgui. He doesn't even know how to use a command line. We are all after the same thing, right? I can understand some guys don't mind editing 50 files to get something to work and are happy with the results, but I'd love to promote unRaid to my fellow co-workers and say, "sure, you can install and run several VM's from just the webgui".

Is the unRaid team after this kind of automation and stability in the final release of V6 or is the team content with some bugs and some areas not %100? I only bring up these type questions because I have OCD and never saw unRaid throw in so many features so fast. I remember the old days where I waited a very long time for just V5 when I was at V4.7. I'd really want to contribute somehow, but I believe I do ask more questions then answer. :(

If you want logs from my ubuntu VM, I'll be glad to scrap them up and post them.

EDIT:

I scrapped up what I think are all the logs. Yes, they mostly are all Chinese to me and I don't speak Chinese. If you want something specific on why possibly ubuntu is not working or a fresh reboot or something, let me know.

EDIT#2:

I forcefully killed the VM. Restarted it and tried to view it via built in VNC viewer. What is odd, is I see the login prompt but none of my keyboard hits transfer over to the VM. I can't tell if the VM has crashed/froze or not because I do see the flashing cursor in the password field box, but I did ask for ubuntu to auto log me in. I'll give it another try.

I tried using VNC view program that I just downloaded and when I run that against my unRaid server using port 5700 it just crashes and disappears.

opentoe,

I was able to setup and install Ubuntu 14.04-2 tonight without issue on multiple test systems.  I'm going to move this thread to general support for further troubleshooting.  I will need you to login to your webGui and under the Tools page, click Diagnostics and click the Collect button, then post the zip file here for us to examine.

Also please share your hardware details, and if you can, share the XML for your VM here.

Additionally, please try these steps:

1)  Edit you VM

2)  Turn on Advanced View

3)  Switch your CPU Mode from Host Passthrough to Emulated

4)  Update your VM

5)  Start your VM

6)  Attempt to install / boot Ubuntu

... I'd like ... to be able to run unRaid, install a VM and run it all through the unRaid webgui ...

Agree -- it should be just that simple.  I'll try it on v6 when I get a new system set up, but just for grins when I read this I was curious how simple it is on VMware, so I downloaded the current Ubuntu, and then did the install.    Took perhaps 45 seconds to do a few mouseclicks to create the new VM and start the install; and less than 10 minutes to install it (and that's with the "download updates" choice selected).    Runs perfectly ... with perhaps a total of 90 seconds of "my time" and about 10 minutes of "computer time" to create and load the VM.  Boots in ~ 30 seconds and runs very nicely.  Hopefully the KVM experience will be the same  :)

EDIT:

EDIT#2:

opentoe,

I was able to setup and install Ubuntu 14.04-2 tonight without issue on multiple test systems.  I'm going to move this thread to general support for further troubleshooting.  I will need you to login to your webGui and under the Tools page, click Diagnostics and click the Collect button, then post the zip file here for us to examine.

Also please share your hardware details, and if you can, share the XML for your VM here.

Additionally, please try these steps:

1)  Edit you VM

2)  Turn on Advanced View

3)  Switch your CPU Mode from Host Passthrough to Emulated

4)  Update your VM

5)  Start your VM

6)  Attempt to install / boot Ubuntu

Well, before I went to bed I wanted to try something real quick. I downloaded VNC View and that was a big flop. It would crash at the very connection of the session.  I sometimes would actually see the ubuntu screen for a split second.

Second, I downloaded UltraVNC client and that was able to connect to my ubuntu session just fine. I was able to perform a complete install from beginning to end. And then connect to it again when it was up and running. Full color, but pretty slow in the screen lag department. So it may seem that the built in NoVNC client that unRaid uses was what was crashing all along and not the VM itself.

If you still want me to do the above options, I will. But having been able to install, and login with no freezes with UltraVNC tells me the NoVNC isn't quite as stable.

Also, that Windows 10 Enterprise Preview ISO that would freeze on me as well, once I tried UltraVNC, no more freezes and was able to install and connect with no problems. So it seems it all boils down to that NoVNC built in connection client.

... I'd like ... to be able to run unRaid, install a VM and run it all through the unRaid webgui ...

Agree -- it should be just that simple.  I'll try it on v6 when I get a new system set up, but just for grins when I read this I was curious how simple it is on VMware, so I downloaded the current Ubuntu, and then did the install.    Took perhaps 45 seconds to do a few mouseclicks to create the new VM and start the install; and less than 10 minutes to install it (and that's with the "download updates" choice selected).    Runs perfectly ... with perhaps a total of 90 seconds of "my time" and about 10 minutes of "computer time" to create and load the VM.  Boots in ~ 30 seconds and runs very nicely.  Hopefully the KVM experience will be the same  :)

Sure is!  Did the same tonight using unraid and took about the same. Clearly opentoe's experience is a faulty browser or something else on his system since a change to another client software resolved his issues. Anyhow, if anything is wrong with noVNC, I certainly haven't experienced it yet.

... Sure is!  Did the same tonight using unraid and took about the same.

Good to know.  I should have a system soon that is good enough to really run v6 => I haven't used any of the advanced features on it yet, as I'm waiting to put together some reasonable hardware for it.    Probably going to build a 2011v3 based setup with a 6-core E5 series Xeon later this fall, but for now I'm just going to build a small system with 3 HDDs and a couple SSDs so I can "play" with the cache pool, VM's, etc. => may even just use an i7-4790 instead of a Xeon, but haven't decided yet.  Probably order it next week.

By the way ... I wrote a note about it on the page about your TV appearance, but not sure you noticed it => the specs for the 10/4 server show the wrong details for the CPU (just checked and it's still on the web page).

Details here:  http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40521.msg382650#msg382650

What browser are you using?

It is a Windows 8.2 64bit box with Google Chrome. I can and will try later to use Internet Explorer (which I hate) with the built in NoVNC client and see what happens. I'll report back and see if the results are the same.

It is a Windows 8.2 64bit box with Google Chrome. I can and will try later to use Internet Explorer (which I hate) with the built in NoVNC client and see what happens. I'll report back and see if the results are the same.

I think you meant 8.1, but that's my exact same config (with chrome) and I have had no issues using noVNC. Maybe a browser plugin or something else on your system that doesn't like noVNC?  At this point, it is safe to say the issue is on the device / browser your using, not with the webgui or unRAID itself.

I think you meant 8.1, but that's my exact same config (with chrome) and I have had no issues using noVNC. Maybe a browser plugin or something else on your system that doesn't like noVNC?  At this point, it is safe to say the issue is on the device / browser your using, not with the webgui or unRAID itself.

Yes, I meant Win 8.1. Sorry.

Ok, I feel odd. Just sat down, created a new VM for Win10 Preview (enterprise, the one that would previously freeze) and Ubuntu using NoVNC and both are installing as I write this. Slap! Slap! I think I may dump all my VM's, since they were for testing/learning anyway and start from beginning to see if I can duplicate my original results. I actually hope I can't! I still do like UltraVNC better anyway. It does seem much faster/quicker and has a slew of options.

Yes, I meant Win 8.1. Sorry.

Ok, I feel odd. Just sat down, created a new VM for Win10 Preview (enterprise, the one that would previously freeze) and Ubuntu using NoVNC and both are installing as I write this. Slap! Slap! I think I may dump all my VM's, since they were for testing/learning anyway and start from beginning to see if I can duplicate my original results. I actually hope I can't! I still do like UltraVNC better anyway. It does seem much faster/quicker and has a slew of options.

Well, either way, I am just glad your system is working for you properly now.

Archived