Cloning an install to a friend's server

nightanole

The long of the short of it is im the test monkey for unraid.  Once i get it configured correctly i just copy the install to my friend's usb stick and just change shares/drives.

With 6.0 and dockers, what do i need to transfer/not transfer to his usb stick?

I assume i can just copy the few phaze plugins, make a docker image on his machine, add the repositories, and then just install the dockers.  After that i can copy my config files over for his dockers and just change a few things to match his server drives/shares.  Does that sound right?

Not sure I understand.

...just copy the few phaze plugins...

What exactly would you copy? You need to install plugins from the plugins page.

...then just install the dockers.  After that i can copy my config files over for his dockers...

What exactly would you copy? The templates?

Seems like it would be just as easy, maybe even easier, to just set everything up on his from scratch, with maybe some screenshots from yours as a guide.

Umm its been a whiles since i installed a plugin on v6.

I cant just put the plg file in the \flash\config\plugins folder?

I cant just copy my \Apps\docker\apps\ docker config folders?

I cant just copy my \Apps\ plugin config folders?

My game plan was:

copy over his bzroot/bzimage  (he already got all his plugins updated to v6)

Copy everything off of his cache drive

reboot to v6 and convert the cache to btrfs

copy everything back to the cache drive

Make a 10 gig docker image

install the

https://github.com/gfjardim/docker-containers/tree/templates

https://github.com/HurricaneHernandez/container-templates

repositories

install the plex/sonarr/sabnzbd dockers

copy over my  \Apps\docker\apps\ docker config folders

Then just do some slight editing of each docker to match his folder shares.

The config folder for the plex docker actually contains the plex database. Unless he has exactly the same media content in exactly the same locations I don't think that is going to work. Same for those other dockers.

Are you sure you don't just want the docker templates? That is where the stuff that is in the Docker setup page is stored.

Unless you have a good understanding of what is on your boot drive and what its purpose is I really think my idea of using screenshots as a guide for setting him up from scratch is going to be easier and less likely to get you into trouble.

What might work, or at least might get you most of the way there without breaking anything:

Set up your friend's server as a new installation and get all his drives assigned and the array working like normal. Then copy your config folder, except super.dat and the key file.

Then see what happens.

Archived