Add Drive - can't use it in Shares

quinnmjcj

I added a new drive to my array (6.0 -rc4), then copied some data from another drive to it.

All my Shares have "ALL" as the included drives.  Unfortunately - the data copied to the new drive is not visible in the shares, and if I click in the "Included" field, I'm only shown 6 disk, not the 7 that are in the array.  Haven't figured out a workaround for this, and I've rebooted the array several times, so that doesn't help......

Yep - just found that setting!  I clicked disk 7 there, and now the shares are happy - don't remember that being in v5 :)

Problem solved.  Thanks.

Unless you deliberately want to apply restrictions then it is better to leave the entries for included or excluded disks empty.  Just because the settings are available that does not mean that you Have to fill them in ;)  Leaving hem empty avoids this sort of unexpected behaviour in the future.

Yep - just found that setting!  I clicked disk 7 there, and now the shares are happy - don't remember that being in v5 :)

Problem solved.  Thanks.

Unless you deliberately want to apply restrictions then it is better to leave the entries for included or excluded disks empty.  Just because the settings are available that does not mean that you Have to fill them in ;)  Leaving hem empty avoids this sort of unexpected behaviour in the future.

Same thing when configuring each user share.

Includes means ONLY those disks. Excludes means EXCEPT those disks. If nothing is in either then nothing is excluded. Never fill in both Includes and Excludes since it is never necessary and you might make it inconsistent.

Gang, just for the record - I do NOT check any specific disk in "Included disk" - I Excluded 1 disk from the array.

WHat's new is that there's apparently a "Global Share Settings" that has "Included disk(s)".  I had never seen that before, and it had

specific disks checked (1-6, and not 7 when I added disk 7) - haven't tried unchecking all, but without adding disk 7 here, it does not get included in the shares, whether or not you had "All" for the included disks. 

Gang, just for the record - I do NOT check any specific disk in "Included disk" - I Excluded 1 disk from the array.

WHat's new is that there's apparently a "Global Share Settings" that has "Included disk(s)".  I had never seen that before, and it had

specific disks checked (1-6, and not 7 when I added disk 7) - haven't tried unchecking all, but without adding disk 7 here, it does not get included in the shares, whether or not you had "All" for the included disks.

Yes the Global Shares setting is important (I think it had a slightly different name in earlier releases).    I also have a feeling that recent builds have become a bit stricter about applying any setting specified there.  The default value for Included is 'all' and for Excluded it is 'none'  A different value in either of these fields implies that at some point you must have set it.

Archived