Hardware RAID 0 for Cache Drive?

ogi

I have 4 160GB SSDs that I would like to be able to re-purpose as a cache drive within Unraid.  My motherboard does offer the ability to do a hardware RAID so I can pool these SSDs into 1 larger pool/drive, which I would ideally like to use as a cache drive.

My question is, would this be not recommended, or just plain not work for any reason? 

Thanks,

Ogi

I have 4 160GB SSDs that I would like to be able to re-purpose as a cache drive within Unraid.  My motherboard does offer the ability to do a hardware RAID so I can pool these SSDs into 1 larger pool/drive, which I would ideally like to use as a cache drive.

My question is, would this be not recommended, or just plain not work for any reason? 

Thanks,

Ogi

Were you thinking of RAID 0? Probably not much to be gained due to network bottleneck.

unRAID 6 has native support for btrfs RAID1 cache pools. I have 2 x 120GB SSDs that way. With your 4 x 160GB you would have 320GB mirrored cache.

Thanks,

Ogi

Were you thinking of RAID 0? Probably not much to be gained due to network bottleneck.

unRAID 6 has native support for btrfs RAID1 cache pools. I have 2 x 120GB SSDs that way. With your 4 x 160GB you would have 320GB mirrored cache.

Wait, wouldn't 4x 160GB in a RAID 1 give me just 160GB?

Reason I was asking about RAID 0, is that it would give me 640GB .... I would be okay with 320GB for my Cache drive though...

See here.

One other thing. In order to increase the number of cache slots allowed you must decrease the number of array slots allowed. Not the number of assigned slots, just the number of allowed slots. You will have to stop the array for this.

That part I was expecting (from having watched some of the videos LT put out).  Good to post in case anyone stumbles across this thread with the same question.

Archived