SuperMicro IPMI

Can you elaborate on what this means?

I've been planning to build a second server to replace my aging server (a Supermicro C2SEA with 3 GHz C2D, which will go to backup server duty), and have previously been happy with my old Supermicro board and was tentatively planning to use another of their boards in the new server.

I have no experience with IPMI, but my reading suggests it would be worth having, as the security concerns I've read about with IPMI 2 don't worry me on my private LAN.

Thank you.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

I assume it's a nominal cost, but can't find the details on SuperMicro's web site.  CDW sells a "Supermicro OOB BIOS Management - license"  for $18.99, but I don't know if this is the same thing you're looking for.

I agree this should be a free download ... but it apparently is not.

• 4 weeks later...

I can confirm that the item garycase mentions is the proper license for the BIOS update via IPMI.

I've had a horrible time with CDW though buying it. I am in Canada and it was $40. I purchased 3 weeks ago, and heard nothing for a week, then I was asked for the board SN, and then nothing for a week, then I was asked for the MAC address, and almost a week later I finally got the code. Since it's supposed to take 48-72 hours and actually took 3 weeks I am trying to push for a refund, but don't know how far I will get. I hounded CDW almost daily, and they had issues with their distribution center and then with SuperMicro direct. It was a crappy process overall, and not one I would recommend without serious patience (though I would also have your SN and MAC addresses handy from day one).

I did confirm the key provided works, and I was able to update my BIOS - however since the key is tied to the motherboard, and I may do this once or twice more over the life of the board it was likely not a worthwhile purchase overall.

Does SuperMicro still use stupid java to allow you to access the remote control over IPMI? It's really a pain and I haven't found a good client to use on my iPad when I'm on the go.

Can't see the $40 (I'm in Canada too) worth it, since I don't go about updating the Bios on my motherboards unless something breaks.

Yes, it does use Java, and doesn't seem to work at all for me.

I really like the SuperMicro board, but have been disappointed by the whole IPMI piece (management and BIOS update). These are not reasons I would ever buy one again (though I would if looking at a Xeon solution again).

Forgot that SuperMicro does have an iOS/Android app called IPMIView, (Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.smc.smcipmitool, iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/supermicro-ipmiview/id952163566?mt=8)

I've had better success on the iPhone than on my desktop with crummy java. Unfortunately no native iPad version.

$40 !!  I thought $18 was a lot for something that should be included with the board.

Since all other IPMI functionality works fine, I'd just attach a keyboard/monitor to the board and do any BIOS updates you need locally !!  [Although I realize this isn't always possible.]

Yes, it's pretty ridiculous. To be honest it was one of those things I did without really thinking about how often I am really going to do this.

One of my dumber choices. :)