[SOLVED] Replacing Mobo Challenges

jeffreywhunter

I've replaced my MOBO with an upgrade from ASUS M5A97 to ASUS P8Z77V LK.  Moved the Supermicro AOC-SAS2LMV8 adapter over, plugged everything in, checked BIOS and loaded system.  Moved the WORKING USB Stick (SanDisk Ultra Fit™ CZ43 32GB USB 3.0) which has worked flawlessly for a week on the old motherboard.

When the system boots, I don't have a valid system.  I'm get a number of errors stating devices are not answering, etc.

I'm unable to save the syslog as the USB does not appear to have loaded either?  Which is odd, because its found and booted from and has been working just fine.

So I've taken some screenshots along a boot.

Device not accepting address error

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20150702-rg1u-144kb.jpg

Sorry, low light, its a bit fuzzy, but after trying for 30 sec's it says /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID not found!

So it boots, but evidently using a default config that is not from the USB

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20150702-lxps-108kb.jpg

But all the drives appear to be found

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20150702-xugc-105kb.jpg

And ethernet is live and sees the internet (could ping google.com)

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20150702-xk8i-106kb.jpg

Did I miss a configuration point somewhere?  I've tried the USB stick in both a USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 slot, no differences.

Is there a setting in Bios that would affect this?  I've verified that USB 3.0, 2.0 and Legacy mode are enabled.

Did that, everything looks good.  I can see all the files, etc...  I ran a chkdsk on the USB stick, no problems.  The system can see it and boot from it, so it has to be ok.  Should I consider a reformat and start over?

This is a new MOBO, so perhaps its in the BIOS config?  I disabled USB 3.0 (USB 2.0 UHCI and Legacy USB are enabled).  I've not seen this "Device not accepting address error" - yet I see all the devices with an LSBLK -l...

You do seem snake bit as to hardware!  :)

I think your flash drive may be OK, but something about the USB port it's using is not.  When you say you tried other USB ports, did you see the same errors as your first pic?  It would be good to see a syslog and/or the full diagnostics package, but without your true flash drive mounted, it's going to be hard to access or even download.  It's using a default configuration now, seems to have mounted a /boot in RAM with a default /boot/config.  Yet the flash drive did boot unRAID, and the other hardware appears to be working OK.

No doubt, seems like I need to sacrifice something to the Unraid god...

The errors appear to be the same (can't verify that but the same kind of errors).

I can see the syslog, just can't get it out of the system.  I appear to have internet and can ping the server (it has a different IP address - 192.168.1.14 vs 192.168.1.100).  But don't have FTP, or whatever.  I've tried to access unraid via a browser, but it does not answer (imagine the web service isn't running).

Is tried to mount the usb but it didn't work...

mkdir /mnt/sda1 (mount point created)

mount -a - returns mountspecial device /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID does not exist

I can see the syslog, is there something specific I can look for?

I can see the syslog, just can't get it out of the system.  I appear to have internet and can ping the server (it has a different IP address - 192.168.1.14 vs 192.168.1.100).  But don't have FTP, or whatever.  I've tried to access unraid via a browser, but it does not answer (imagine the web service isn't running).

That's what I was afraid of.  It's a default setup, and the network default would be to use DHCP, which resulted in the .1.14 address.  It would also have resulted in the server name being tower, have you tried browsing to //tower?  Or 192.168.1.14 (or whatever it changes to on next boot)?

I can see the syslog, is there something specific I can look for?

Sorry, I confess I often don't know what I'm looking for when I open a syslog!  I just know it when I see it!

Followed the instructions and I'm still getting the same results - device descriptor read errors...and the default 'boot'.

So this has to be associated with the USB stick?  Evidently not liking this motherboard?  *ugh*

Scanned through the log looking for anything that might help.  Found the following...

In the ATA section

ACPI Error: [DSSP] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20150204/psargs-359)

ACPI Error: Method parse/execution faile [\_SB_.PCIO.SAT0.SPT0.GTF] (Node ffff88060746c230), AE_NOT-FOUND...

There are a couple of these

It spins through all the drive startups, gets to SDK, then says

usb 6-1.5: device not accepting address 5, error 71

same for address 6

usb 6-1-1-port5: unable to enumerate USB device

same for address 6

And that's about it...

Your system date is not set, says 1-01-2009, perhaps bad battery or never set?  There is a connection between incorrect system date and registration key failure, so this would be crazy, but worth correcting.  Try changing it in the CMOS.  I'm not sure what the date should be, timezone complicates it.  Possibly your time in UTC?  Or you can try the following.

To change the system date and time, you have to be logged in as root, then some variation of the following 2 commands -

date --set="the_date"

hwclock --systohc

You might read this for help.  Not sure how helpful it is though, I found some of the advice conflicting.

At least in this syslog, there was no problem with the USB port, but it did not find a registration key.  When you checked it in Windows, you did run the Check Disk tool?  I don't think that's the problem, but worth checking.

Reading down this thread I got to Rob's post r.e. the date and thought "Bingo!" ... and then saw that you'd already seen it and made the change.

An incorrect date can cause a bunch of issues -- in Windows it will cause updates to fail,  activation to fail, etc.; and clearly in UnRAID it can cause the key check to fail  :)

You'd think the key check could validate the date and report b it as wrong...or at least clearly state that in the log. 

Agree ... but the same thing happens with Windows.    A wrong date will cause updates to fail or activation to fail with absolutely no indication of the reason.    A simple error message would make it a lot easier when this happens  :)

Archived