VNC Remote from External Network

dirrtyjoe

Hey all,

I have a Windows 8.1 VM setup and can access via VNC Remote when on the local network but get "noVNC ready: native WebSockets, canvas rendering" and then "Server disconnected (code: 1006)". I have opened up the port (5700) that appears in the URL but that doesn't seem to fix it... any ideas?

So a few thoughts:

1. Have you tried using Windows Remote Desktop (RDP) with your VM? RDP gives a much better user experience than VNC on Windows machines.

2. It sounds like you opened a port on your router so that you can access your VM from an external network? If so this is not a good idea. Bad things can and DO happen if you expose your home network to the world. I would strongly recommend looking into setting up an OpenVPN server on your unRAID server. This will give you a secure connection to your server and prevent getting hacked, etc. There is an OpenVPN plugin or Docker you can mess with.

So a few thoughts:

1. Have you tried using Windows Remote Desktop (RDP) with your VM? RDP gives a much better user experience than VNC on Windows machines.

2. It sounds like you opened a port on your router so that you can access your VM from an external network? If so this is not a good idea. Bad things can and DO happen if you expose your home network to the world. I would strongly recommend looking into setting up an OpenVPN server on your unRAID server. This will give you a secure connection to your server and prevent getting hacked, etc. There is an OpenVPN plugin or Docker you can mess with.

Thanks for the thoughts. I just got the VM setup and my goal is to get RDP up and going. I also took your advice and setup OpenVPN (something I've been meaning to do) so now I should be much more secure.

When accessing the VM through RDP will it be through the default port (3389)?

Windows 8 is kind of a pain to get RDP turned on the first time. Type "allow remote access to your computer" into the Windows 8 search and make sure that "allow remote connections" is selected (see screenshot). Then type "Windows Firewall" into the search and click "allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall" and make sure remote desktop is selected (see screenshot). Then everything should be working  ;D

1.PNG.54eb0b99adb071a6607059d0086b40b2.PNG

2.PNG.f181c80dd354c80cbe364dcb8b65f169.PNG

When accessing the VM through RDP will it be through the default port (3389)?

Yup, I never even enter a port number, just the IP address of the VM.

Does the VM require any additional settings to open the port/allow RDP?

You have to have set up Windows to allow RDP.    You also need the VM to be configured to use a bridge that has been set up under Settings->Network (typically br0) so that it is visible on the local LAN.

What are the optimal/correct settings for "VPN Settings"? I'm certain I have something setup incorrectly here limiting my access.

I have my router on the default 192.168.1.1 and it is DHCP of LAN. unRAID is at 192.168.1.188

Hmm, yeah it sounds like the openvpn plugin is the one limiting your access to the rest of your network. Unfortunately, I do not use that plugin (I have an openVPN server built into my router, pfSense), so I cannot help you with that.

What are the optimal/correct settings for "VPN Settings"? I'm certain I have something setup incorrectly here limiting my access.

I have my router on the default 192.168.1.1 and it is DHCP of LAN. unRAID is at 192.168.1.188

Hmm, yeah it sounds like the openvpn plugin is the one limiting your access to the rest of your network. Unfortunately, I do not use that plugin (I have an openVPN server built into my router, pfSense), so I cannot help you with that.

Ahh, ok. I've got pfSense at home but my server is living at my parents house at the moment. Maybe it's time to make the move.

Archived