Open VPN

Hello.  :)

I've just started to install open VPN via Docker on my Unraid server. I then fell at the first hurdle when it wanted settings for Path etc. These were no problem when I installed Plex for example because its obvious where your data is etc. With open VPN however I'm at a loss. Can anybody help please?

Next question, and possibly more important, is there a better way to implement VPN. A friend swears by Cisco kit and has mentioned an ASA 5505.

or is there some other hardware solution? Would I be better off splashing out on a top tier Draytek router for example?

Thanks.  :)

Next question, and possibly more important, is there a better way to implement VPN. A friend swears by Cisco kit and has mentioned an ASA 5505.

or is there some other hardware solution? Would I be better off splashing out on a top tier Draytek router for example?

What makes one VPN "better" than another in your eyes? OpenVPN works, the downside is that you need a client for it. L2TP/IPSEC doesn't generally need a client, but it's a pain to set up. There are more pros and cons of every VPN tech out there, a quick Google search should guide you in the right direction.

As for doing it with a docker or via software or something vs. on an appliance or at the edge... up to you, there are again pros and cons of everything. I wouldn't run my business on a docker app with an OVPN thing running in it, but I wouldn't spend multiple hundreds of dollars to VPN to my home server either.

Thanks everyone, all good advice.

My reason for asking about a stand alone device for VPN was performance/security. I was just wondering how good Unraid/Open VPN was at running a VPN. I had realised that you need a client.

As I have all my media on the unraid server, and some of it is important photographs, I just wondered if Unraid running Open VPN was a risk of any sort. I do need/want to be able to access my server content from outside of my home and wondered which was the best solution. I am currently using a cheapo router supplied by my fibre provider (TalkTalk) and it does not appear to have VPN abilities. I thought Unraid and Open VPN might be the way forward? I am not running a business. im just an IT enthusiast with a fairly comprehensive home setup. I did look at a Netgear 7000 router but it used Open VPN and by Netgears own admission, it did not work that reliably?

I dont mind spending a hundred or so pounds (Ebay) on a second hand bit of Cisco kit for example if that would do the job reliably.

I've recently converted my Unraid server to a Supermicro X10SL7-F mobo which has a spare Ethernet port. I thought i might be able to use this with open VPN?

Thanks for your advice, its much appreciated.

I love my Asus, it's one sexy piece of kit. 

Got the Asus DSL-AC68U with built in ADSL & VDSL modems, been useful as just moved house and had to downgrade from fibre to regular.  They do a version without the modem built in as well, the RT-AC68U.

VPN is super easy to setup on it, ac wifi, it is awesome and the UI is prettier than my old Netgear..

I think with the router (no modem) you can also flash alternative firmware to it as well.