Seems UnRAID is doing it wrong...

HellDiverUK

http://www.freenas.org/whats-new/2015/07/docker-done-right.html

The FreeNAS circle-jerk continues.  Nowthey're jumping on Docker and saying that everyone else using Docker is doing it wrong.

So Docker implementation is wrong, but coming to FreeNAS?  ::)

I looked at all the NAS solutions when shopping but Unraid came out top, all these FreeBSD things are way too complicated and the whole ECC memory and high requirements stuff put me off.

No system is perfect, but Unraid has always run on modest hardware, been rock solid and easy to use.  I tried WHS V1 with drive duplication, felt it was just too much redundancy for me, so migrated to Unraid, then on V5 on Unraid got a bit fed up with plugins and getting stuff working so tried WHS2011 with Transparent FlexRaid.  Mainly as I know my way around Windows so thought it'd be easier.  Only stuck it out for a year.  Setting up an array was a pain in the a**e, upgrading Flexraid I always had to get the wiki up to check I was doing it right, essentially uninstall everything then reinstall everything with a couple of restarts along the way.  And to get XBMC to work as a "headless" server to update MySQL required a cludge of a fix to autologin my Server Admin user!!!

And not if, but when Windows broke a reinstall would take a few days of hard work to reconfigure. IIS was awful.  Dual parity was a nice feature of FlexRAID but didn't make up for the downsides in my mind, and it was nowhere near as stable as UnRAID.

The plethora of options and woolly advice re SALT, TCQ, OS Caching and the awful registration system!

I came back to Unraid with the intention of going back to V5, but happily found V6 Beta 11 I think.  WOW!

I truly believe that with the current implementation of Unraid, Docker & VMs that LT have absolutely nailed the Home NAS market.  Dual parity is probably the only feature I think it is lacking, but everything has a compromise.

And if my UnRAID OS Flash takes a nosedive, I can be back up and running, with a backup in about 5 minutes, without a backup, give it an hour and a bit extra to download the docker containers.  There is no easier system to run.

I was wrong to leave Unraid before, but I'm man enough to admit it and come back, as a few other forum members have, I think ironicbadger has come back to Unraid as well.  Wonder if grumpybutfun will be back??  ;D

FreeNAS has it's place.  It's not in the home.

The FreeNAS neckbeards put a lot of people off, holding on to the "you must use ECC RAM or the world will implode" and "you must use 1GB of RAM per 1TB of storage" nonsense.

Elitist idiots.

It's ZFS who suck at the home environment. You indeed need ECC/1GB-TB if you want data deduplication. And the ZRAID expandability bullshit is the ultimate no-go for it.

Stripped RAID for home environment is a recipe for disaster; any misconfiguration or a kid removing hard drives may leave your data unrecoverable.

No, no gfjardim. Don't you know ZFS is the elixir of life, can cure cancer, give you super-human strength, and make the tea at the same time?  Duh.  :o

I used to use FreeNAS myself, back before it went all retardo and was taken over by Xi.  Used it very successfully for a long time on an early Gen7 Microserver.  But then the ZFS pool went horribly wrong, and put it like this I'm glad I had a full backup.  I flirted with NAS4Free for a while, but I just end up back with UnRAID.  It suits my uses perfectly.

FreeNAS has it's place.  It's not in the home.

The FreeNAS neckbeards put a lot of people off, holding on to the "you must use ECC RAM or the world will implode" and "you must use 1GB of RAM per 1TB of storage" nonsense.

Elitist idiots.

Stripped RAID for home environment is a recipe for disaster; any misconfiguration or a kid removing hard drives may leave your data unrecoverable.

This is a PG-rated forum. That's striped RAID. Somehow this brought back thoughts of sparky's showering with his server.

But seriously ...

Striped RAID values data integrity above all else. It is better to lose the entire thing than allow a tiny data corruption. And it is high performance. The redundant information in integral to serving data. It's what you want your bank to be using on your financial data.

unRAID values resilience above all else. Nothing worse than losing all of the data. It relaxes performance requirements and data integrity to achieve these goals. Ease of expansion is also high on the list. It is not what you want your bank to be using, but is a great place for your media.

Cheers to Tom for creating it!

I looked at some of those others when I was first deciding what to use, never actually tried any. It was obvious at the time that unRAID had the best forum, so I went with it and never regretted it.

I came to UnRAID via kodi or xbmc as it was and their forum thread about it, I had little or no experience with NAS but quickly got the confidence that if I ran into problems that there would be someone in this forum who would be able to help.