Dockers Don't Show Any Updates - All up-to-date - However It's Wrong!

I haven't updated a docker in forever, which is cool and all but I am thinking that they aren't updating and something is wrong.

I can click the check for updates and it instantly goes back to "up-to-date".

However I know there is an update for my Kodi headless server as I am still on beta 2, however it shows up to date.

The template still says beta 2, so I am pretty sure it hasn't been auto updated or anything like that.

So unless I'm crazy, what would be the best way to troubleshoot this?

If anyone else presses check for updates, does it go through each one and check, or does it come back instantly?

I know in the past it would take a little while on each one and then check and then output a status..

If this is for some reason broken, could it be that the DNS bug we had prior to now effected this, and I need to fix the main docker template somehow/someway in order for it to fix this issue (that I think I have...LOL).

I have found that updates to the app contained in the docker get checked when you "edit and save" a docker. Then it phones home and checks version. Don't actually have to make any edits, its the Save that does the trick.

Hmmm...Interesting.

I completed this on the Kodi headless docker and it definitely pulled a new image.

So I'd assume if there wasn't an update it would have skipped this step.

So I surmise that I am in fact not crazy, and something is wrong with the check for updates on the docker page.

I have found that updates to the app contained in the docker get checked when you "edit and save" a docker. Then it phones home and checks version. Don't actually have to make any edits, its the Save that does the trick.

Hmmm...Interesting.

I completed this on the Kodi headless docker and it definitely pulled a new image.

So I'd assume if there wasn't an update it would have skipped this step.

So I surmise that I am in fact not crazy, and something is wrong with the check for updates on the docker page.

Your not crazy,  I just checked mine and it did the same thing,  click check for updates and it instantly comes back as up to date

It can only check if the docker code has been updated. There is no way for it to know if the application the docker code gets has updated.

If the docker developer makes an update to their docker code, then checking for updates would be able to detect this.

But the docker code can get the latest version of the application without any change to the docker code.

There is really no practical way to detect whether or not the application has updated since this would require knowing a lot about each of the applications.

It can only check if the docker code has been updated. There is no way for it to know if the application the docker code gets has updated.

If the docker developer makes an update to their docker code, then checking for updates would be able to detect this.

But the docker code can get the latest version of the application without any change to the docker code.

There is really no practical way to detect whether or not the application has updated since this would require knowing a lot about each of the applications.

That is confusing!..  :o

So for instance Mr ballsofsparkly updates his Kodi headless docker with an update to final (as just happened), however the docker update mechanism will not know this and will not update?

That seems bassackwards (also known as ass backwards), and confusing to the end user.

The plugins update check does what I'd expect, but this does not (as you explain it).

This seems like recent changed behavior though. I know my containers used to notify if there was an update, it hasn't for the last month or two. I had been wondering about this as well. I can presumably stop, edit, and restart each docker, but this seems far less useful than you would expect (especially for plex or other apps that update somewhat frequently).

So for instance Mr ballsofsparkly updates his Kodi headless docker with an update to final (as just happened), however the docker update mechanism will not know this and will not update?

That seems bassackwards (also known as ass backwards), and confusing to the end user.

The plugins update check does what I'd expect, but this does not (as you explain it).

I see I did manage to confuse you, since that is not what I explained. If the Kodi docker is updated (and the check for updates was working correctly which may not be the case), then it would know that. What it wouldn't know is if Kodi itself is updated.

Suppose the Kodi docker is configured to always get the latest Kodi. Nothing ever needs to be changed about the docker for it to get the latest version, so the docker doesn't get updated.

Suppose further that Kodi is updated. No change is made to the docker since it already gets the latest version when it installs Kodi. So the docker page would not see any update to the docker.

In order for the docker page to know that Kodi had updated, it would have to actually go to the Kodi website and compare the latest version to the version that the docker installed (which it doesn't really know anyway).

So, how would you propose that the docker page be able to know when the application in the general case gets updated, since there is no consistency between all possible applications and their websites and versioning schemes?

I see I did manage to confuse you, since that is not what I explained. If the Kodi docker is updated (and the check for updates was working correctly which may not be the case), then it would know that. What it wouldn't know is if Kodi itself is updated.

Suppose the Kodi docker is configured to always get the latest Kodi. Nothing ever needs to be changed about the docker for it to get the latest version, so the docker doesn't get updated.

Suppose further that Kodi is updated. No change is made to the docker since it already gets the latest version when it installs Kodi. So the docker page would not see any update to the docker.

In order for the docker page to know that Kodi had updated, it would have to actually go to the Kodi website and compare the latest version to the version that the docker installed (which it doesn't really know anyway).

So, how would you propose that the docker page be able to know when the application in the general case gets updated, since there is no consistency between all possible applications and their websites and versioning schemes?

I understand what you are saying, and I absolutely get it..

My Couchpotato docker never shows an update, however the application couchpotato is updated regularly within its own docker.

Also, it's a bug, Tom confirmed saying

This is a bug introduced in 6.1-rc1.  The problem is that an 'executable' bit got cleared.  To workaround you can type this:

chmod +x /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/DockerUpdate.php

Now docker check for updates will work.

Fixed in -rc2.

I understand what you are saying, and I absolutely get it..

My Couchpotato docker never shows an update, however the application couchpotato is updated regularly within its own docker.

Also, it's a bug, Tom confirmed saying

This is a bug introduced in 6.1-rc1.  The problem is that an 'executable' bit got cleared.  To workaround you can type this:

chmod +x /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/DockerUpdate.php

Now docker check for updates will work.

Fixed in -rc2.

I knew there was a bug which is why I said

(and the check for updates was working correctly which may not be the case)

but fixing that bug will not address whether or not the docker page knows whether or not the application installed by the docker has been updated or not. It will only know whether the docker developer has updated the docker, not whether the application fetched by the docker has updated.

but fixing that bug will not address whether or not the docker page knows whether or not the application installed by the docker has been updated or not. It will only know whether the docker developer has updated the docker, not whether the application fetched by the docker has updated.

Yep, I get it.  ;)