We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

XML edits are wiped every time a VM is edited

mostlydave

I have an extremely frustrating situation going on, I think I saw this was a known issue and was hoping there was a fix, every time I make an edit to a VM like change the amount of RAM, the custom lines I added to the XML for my USB controller pass through are removed.

It's not the end of the world, but it's pretty frustring to anyone trying to go VMs only in their home. It means I have to have a backup laptop on hand, go back through the thread that explains the usb pass through and set it up just to make an edit.

I hope there's a way to keep the custom lines while keeping everything editable in the GUI.

I have an extremely frustrating situation going on, I think I saw this was a known issue and was hoping there was a fix, every time I make an edit to a VM like change the amount of RAM, the custom lines I added to the XML for my USB controller pass through are removed.

It's not the end of the world, but it's pretty frustring to anyone trying to go VMs only in their home. It means I have to have a backup laptop on hand, go back through the thread that explains the usb pass through and set it up just to make an edit.

I hope there's a way to keep the custom lines while keeping everything editable in the GUI.

At the moment any changes made via the Edit XML option get lost if you then use the plain 'Edit' option.    This is an acknowledged issue, but there is no timescale for a fix/workaround.  Therefore once you have changed things via the Edit XML option you have to make that the only way you make changes.

Yes, this is a known issue. XML editor is for testing "not yet built in" functionality. It is "use at your own risk"

Adding support for pass through of other devices is planned along with other options.  All in due time folks.

In the short term, you could save yourself a lot of headache by just copying your XML through the editor BEFORE making your edits through the GUI editor, then make your GUI edits, then copy and paste back in your custom stuff.

Yes, this is a known issue. XML editor is for testing "not yet built in" functionality. It is "use at your own risk"

Adding support for pass through of other devices is planned along with other options.  All in due time folks.

In the short term, you could save yourself a lot of headache by just copying your XML through the editor BEFORE making your edits through the GUI editor, then make your GUI edits, then copy and paste back in your custom stuff.

Ok, that's fine, but how about some kind of indication in the GUI that this is a feature in the testing phase? I got not indication from reading the forum (no sticky in the KVM section) or the Version 6 manual that the XML editor is in testing, or that the edits would not stick.

When I see something in the GUI, in a non beta release without a warning that its "use at your own risk" then I assume its built in, because it is at that point.

Archived