15TB of parity-protected data in a box the size of a toaster, for less than $800

Intro

Recently, I decided that my hundreds of hours spent ripping Blu-Rays and DVDs should be better protected.  Though unRaid provides parity, I still want a separate backup of my media collection.  Just thinking about having to re-rip my movies makes my stomach turn.  My main focus for this build was hardware cost, case size, and power consumption.  Since it will be used almost purely as a backup solution, it needed minimal computing power.  For those interested, my preclear reports are attached.

System Hardware/Software

OS at time of building: 6.0.1

Motherboard/CPU: ASRock Q1900-ITX with embedded J1900 quad-core Celeron processor at 2.0GHz

ASRock has many models to choose from when it comes to embedded mini-itx boards, and all for a fair price.  I chose this one because it's a fanless design and uses SO-DIMM memory slots.  I wanted the SO-DIMM slots so I could use the left-over RAM from my recent Mac Mini RAM upgrade.

RAM: Left over from Mac Mini RAM upgrade 4GB (2GBX2)

I was really happy not to have to buy new RAM for this build.

Case: Norco ITX-S4

Supports 4x3.5" drives + 1x2.5" drive, mini-itx form factor, and allows for a full-height pci-e card.

Fan: The stock case fan sounded like a jet engine so I replaced it with an 80mm Noctua fan.

UPS: Cyberpower CP1000AVRLCD

I don't think I could ever justify spending hundreds of dollars on an unRaid build and not connect it to an UPS.

Parity Drive: 5TB Toshiba PH3500U-1|72

Data Drives: 5TB Toshiba PH3500U-1|72 (x3)

For what this server will be used for, I would have much rather used 5400/5900RPM drives, but money talks, and the Toshibas are (as of this writing) by far the best deal for a 5TB internal drive.  I'm sure harvesting external drives is fine for the most part, backed up by many unRaid builders, but with the mixed results overall, I didn't want to risk it.  I 3xPrecleared all drives to make sure they were good to go, and all checked out.

Cache Drive: None, yet. 

The SATA ports on the mobo are saturated, so I'll probably buy a mini-pcie-to-SATA adapter if/when I decide I need a cache drive.

System Traits

Total Drive Capacity: 15TB

Primary Use: Media library backup

Dislikes: Drives are running HOT (more details below).

Power Consumption

Boot (peak): 107W

Idle: 41W (all disks spun up)

Idle: 21W (all disks spun down)

Parity Check: 56W

Drives are HOT!

Overall, I'm very happy with the system.  I had no issues with the hardware.  It doesn't consume much power, and it is a very small machine.  I still need to address the drive temps.  During pre-clear (all 4 drives simultaneously), the drives quickly crept up to nearly 50C.  I had to run to Lowes and buy a desktop fan to keep them cool.  Once I propped the fan in front of the case, the temps settled down to a not-so-impressive 40C.  Ambient temp in my office is warm, though, at about 75-78F.  Now that the server is up and running, I'll be moving it into the living room which is much cooler, usually around 70-72F.  Cooler ambient temp might not be enough though.  If I can't get the drive temps down, I might have to look into another case.  This case is probably fine for 5400RPM drives, but these 7200RPM Toshibas have a hard time staying below 40C.

Pictures

pxZqr8kRcPsQvmrEiEoxCn1SGEurvkAiLTkEbdHP6d7h=w928-h696-no

KkZjbZeF63FbVEQAnzLtFWu_XEEU-eXxlQMNdBlnRXAq=w928-h696-no

0Umj2zBPD_Zb7k80QWzIuA8LD-lmvsA8VupbvIWh8usV=w928-h696-no

c3UPF6jn_rC0i-ks4XrRpi-0dBnfqcnIeMUFXOvwLFP2=w928-h696-no

6NXW2bR1_uO5XxK7EoIDyV3NPR3WJvuXMmirN3qgUIMH=w1237-h696-no

Wb5ocOMHXQ13UHpfnhBWXGhcPSZdozXnWx7noTtedn53=w1237-h696-no

qt-dyMy55AxbFl5h9P1vFtRCZAah2qUdzbmfcV-F_Jxz=w1237-h696-no

UPDATE 09/03/2015: Added a cache drive.  Mounting that mini-pcie sata adapter card without removing the motherboard was a HUGE pain, but I got it.

j4dLG9YADzfT758j6rZLmAEsHbBGQplI5CqRSZbX5b8Hfq6wHSptCZOuSJVqw7LTosR86QhWfWvpP9xjUrAQDK2jYLzs8mTFfm0YqlW01T8OwfKGTJ8-EEjdM6pZ6kuaQKyfrNIboKvQ2YIBMeyhSkC-A9d4zYFNt2hVpqkwNpWiBfWNstnARD8HZwOXNo2taBwoSsNG0MewlgiKh-qdMZfSGwjsZOAOUg9_vfLKeWIfWN5lwxIGZF6uPeIJYlnx05s5Kn9c2els42ArCjXmSnLzBCUPUnf-xi2plqH-14I3Z3lRq1XvGvMQAvUvcycpNjSWBCKU8wzgsGaZMmQzuXCJ0Z1Q_TOdvgYhQTv4bxswT73zr23hPpEjPfnZ32VNpTouDoV7rjdTf0vAIheYmic9LpbgSlFMStIBu4oj5yPzvvYDrfAtQQi5zwrOyONn7-VdXHVV_ZpWA7SPBQmgonnWEFt-Ssv1InxGkGowb9g2SGp1pTzCYxKJzJ5l9QzoOJ_TN5zNd5mPsCsQexJKdcpa=w1237-h696-no

cYYMLu_qkWEsKKhpY6QDew-NR6F4y_-_pfbWFjrDpbhhj3R-9qBEiECgP2SNZhCvxHdIELTfGhJ5AjPhY-Gi7yplRaCUwK8HF_trwY-suyYK68WD4n2bWojFQd1xAd8I2aIeh7i7DsfsBlFvLbjZ3Q_wuLRw9WdublCpihxxWHjat2v5nYbWr0gmGxMvyoOIVU4RmThLsGF4__dmjdZm3M_73FGMDuKKb3OuI2unXsci0rVNKaZBW1KRbx9g1IUv1bIwrZSIfEiEIL1v4HlvUNU4Pvtv9LQem5iQ1jvixU7WjsTZKdHWa5oukRk35SSEh0cacOIjpS7Cw56b7ZYBDZIMzdAtN2n3DqX5PScT6wbmYvN7MxGkP_gLoIFtOEy5DPMI5l6PKUA4RqHIHBTxouyz-V4OsTxMTvUMv9k8uxIlMDgzDpYdljwnQ6ibCSbAgF8-YAs1oFkrymcF7eH5jmKUKhcErEmMmBgafrJjkPfc2Lny6L1w3VXD8F4bgfsDg-wxWfTyRsGaozsdoXPev4Q5=w1237-h696-no

preclear_rpt_sda_2015-08-19.txt

preclear_rpt_sdb_2015-08-19.txt

preclear_rpt_sdc_2015-08-19.txt

preclear_rpt_sdd_2015-08-19.txt

Regarding Temperature from the other thread.

Also, if you don't have a card in the PCI slot, you can try to add a PCI Slot fan to create more suction.

Another choice is a more powerful fan in the back or even a hybrid 120MM to 80MM type fan adapter.

i.e. Nexus 80mm or 92mm Fan Slot to 120mm Fan Converter

Even if it were mounted on the outside. Better then that big vornado fan in the front.

I used to use these SST-FM92 fans that were 92MM fan blades but had an 80MM mounting pattern.

They let me put better fans in smaller places.

SILVERSTONE SST-FM92 92mm Case Fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999345

They do not make them anymore but maybe you could find some old stock or something similar.

They were great fans.

And finally I forgot to mention, you should probably try and find the operating specifications on those Toshiba drives.

I know my Seagate and HGST drives are rated for 60c.  There was a document Seagate supplied stating that in the in past drives were rated to 50c, but with modern technology they are not rated to 60c and normally do run hotter due to the extra platters.

Doesn't mean the Toshiba drives are rated the same way. Yet I would try to locate the details so you know where you stand.

In my case, I don't start to freak at 45-47 any more. That's the norm for the 6tb high speed drives.

Ill probably adjust the case fans to attempt to keep them down, but I'm not sure I'll be able to.

A standard parity sync and parity check would be fine for now.

Perhaps some dd reads on the drives would help, I'll provide some command line usage after I locate my script.

Parity check finished this morning, with the following statistics:

Last checked on Thu 20 Aug 2015 09:02:44 AM PDT (today), finding 0 errors.

? Duration: 8 hours, 58 minutes, 4 seconds. Average speed: 154.9 MB/sec

Also, if you don't have a card in the PCI slot, you can try to add a PCI Slot fan to create more suction.

Another choice is a more powerful fan in the back or even a hybrid 120MM to 80MM type fan adapter.

Even if it were mounted on the outside. Better then that big vornado fan in the front.

I used to use these SST-FM92 fans that were 92MM fan blades but had an 80MM mounting pattern.

They do not make them anymore but maybe you could find some old stock or something similar.

They were great fans.

As a step 1, I'm going to put the stock jet engine fan back in, and monitor the temps for a couple days.  If that thing is good enough, I'll just look for another 80mm fan that has decent power (more than the noctua) but isn't as crazy loud as the case's stock fan.

I was actually looking at 92mm fans with 80mm mount holes.  There are a few of them out there but the way the case is designed, there isn't enough room below the fan for any expansion.  I could certainly mount it outside the case, which is an option I've considered.

That being said, there may be hope for the case almost as-is.  This morning was pretty cool in the office (72F).  I spun all the disks up and they started at 26C.  I let them run (no I/O, just spinning) for about 20 minutes, then re-checked the temps.  They hadn't moved at all, still 26C.  Obviously a parity check would still drive the temps up above comfortability (without one of the suggestions above), but it makes me happy to see such a difference in drive temp due to the ambient room temp.  Once I move the case to the living room, I should see a noticeable difference.  Moving the case to a cooler room combined with finding a more powerful 80mm fan might be all I need (here's to hoping).

And finally I forgot to mention, you should probably try and find the operating specifications on those Toshiba drives.

I know my Seagate and HGST drives are rated for 60c.  There was a document Seagate supplied stating that in the in past drives were rated to 50c, but with modern technology they are not rated to 60c and normally do run hotter due to the extra platters.

Doesn't mean the Toshiba drives are rated the same way. Yet I would try to locate the details so you know where you stand.

In my case, I don't start to freak at 45-47 any more. That's the norm for the 6tb high speed drives.

Ill probably adjust the case fans to attempt to keep them down, but I'm not sure I'll be able to.

I've looked high and low for temp specs on these Toshiba drives, to no avail so far.  I looked not only at the 5TB drives, but all other sizes in this line.  Still no luck.  Found the product on Toshiba's website, and it didn't list anything, either.

Not that I'll ever sit too comfortable with temps in the upper 40's, but it's nice to hear that it's closer to normal for these larger drives.

They were great fans.

As a step 1, I'm going to put the stock jet engine fan back in, and monitor the temps for a couple days.  If that thing is good enough, I'll just look for another 80mm fan that has decent power (more than the noctua) but isn't as crazy loud as the case's stock fan.

I was actually looking at 92mm fans with 80mm mount holes.  There are a few of them out there but the way the case is designed, there isn't enough room below the fan for any expansion.  I could certainly mount it outside the case, which is an option I've considered.

That being said, there may be hope for the case almost as-is.  This morning was pretty cool in the office (72F).  I spun all the disks up and they started at 26C.  I let them run (no I/O, just spinning) for about 20 minutes, then re-checked the temps.  They hadn't moved at all, still 26C.  Obviously a parity check would still drive the temps up above comfortability (without one of the suggestions above), but it makes me happy to see such a difference in drive temp due to the ambient room temp.  Once I move the case to the living room, I should see a noticeable difference.  Moving the case to a cooler room combined with finding a more powerful 80mm fan might be all I need (here's to hoping).

I'd probably get one of those 92MM fans that mount in 80mm and mount it outside the case with a 92mm grill. (but that's me).

I would probably make use of a PCI fan as well.  That's bought me allot of extra air flow in situations where I had dual xeons that were not LV.  Last, but not least if neither of these worked as well, I would look for alternative places in the case to mount a fan (i.e.) directly to the cover and possibly nibble out the vent.

PCI case fans.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=pci+case+fan&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I had that case in the past.  I had issues keeping the discs cool, and then the backplane died.  Bit of a shame, it could be a great case if they put a 92mm fan in instead of the 80mm.

Yeah it certainly is a shame, especially since there's PLENTY of room for a 92mm fan.  Almost enough room for a 120mm fan, in fact.  They could have pretty easily integrated a slim 92mm/120mm fan into the door of the front as an inlet fan (which I'm considering doing myself if possible).

I just ordered a 80mm->120mm adapter and 120mm fan to mount to the back of the case.  Hopefully that'll help.

Look for an adjustable 120MM fan if possible.

I've seen some really nice ones in my day, but cannot seem to locate them now.

Examples.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214044&cm_re=120mm_adjustable_fan-_-35-214-044-_-Product

I've used this in the past with my portable DJ rig. Gave me air flow in emergency situations.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28M6415&cm_re=120mm_adjustable_fan-_-35-106-140-_-Product

While maybe not adjustable, this looks slick.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6HD2NM2823&cm_re=120mm_variable_fan-_-9SIA6HD2NM2823-_-Product

I've used things like this in the past multiple times.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998129&cm_re=pci_case_fan_variable-_-11-998-129-_-Product

I would drill a hole and install it.

Have you considered the use of a PCI case fan in the PCI slot? Is it slated for something else?

I've used this in the past with success, but I can't remember much about it. I haven't used this item since 2012 or so.

AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888309&cm_re=pci_case_fan-_-35-888-309-_-Product

You may need to measure clearance of the PCI slot and fan's width.

I just ordered a 80mm->120mm adapter and 120mm fan to mount to the back of the case.  Hopefully that'll help.

Look for an adjustable 120MM fan if possible.

I've seen some really nice ones in my day, but cannot seem to locate them now.

Examples.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214044&cm_re=120mm_adjustable_fan-_-35-214-044-_-Product

I've used this in the past with my portable DJ rig. Gave me air flow in emergency situations.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28M6415&cm_re=120mm_adjustable_fan-_-35-106-140-_-Product

While maybe not adjustable, this looks slick.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6HD2NM2823&cm_re=120mm_variable_fan-_-9SIA6HD2NM2823-_-Product

I've used things like this in the past multiple times.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998129&cm_re=pci_case_fan_variable-_-11-998-129-_-Product

I would drill a hole and install it.

Have you considered the use of a PCI case fan in the PCI slot? Is it slated for something else?

I've used this in the past with success, but I can't remember much about it. I haven't used this item since 2012 or so.

AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888309&cm_re=pci_case_fan-_-35-888-309-_-Product

You may need to measure clearance of the PCI slot and fan's width.

The fan I bought is a Noctua, and it comes with 3 different cables for 3 different fan speeds.  Not as easily adjustable, but once I find the sweet spot, I'll leave it alone anyways.

WRT the pci slot fan, I'm saving that as a last resort.  I'd like to keep that slot open in case I need to use a sata card for the cache drive (though I'm hoping to use a mini-pcie for that).  Plus, most the pci fans I have looked at advertise a pretty loud dB rating.  The fan I ordered moves more than twice as much air at roughly the same dB level, so I'm hoping to slap that on and be done with it.  As is, I'm transferring files to the case right now, so 2 drives active, 2 drives idle spinning, and the temps are sitting right around 43C.  Thats with an ambient room temp of 77F.  Combine a cooler room with a much larger fan, and I really hope I'll be good to go.

To be honest, if your UnRAID box runs like mine, the drives will be spun down 22 hours a day at least, so the heat won't be a massive issue.  It's only parity check/rebuilds that make the drives heat up.  A 5900rpm drive wouldn't have the issue even then, either...

My server heats up the drives to over 50C when doing a parity check, and the drives have a pair of 120mm fans right beside them (though they are the Fractal R2 1000rpm fans running at about 550rpm, so not exactly high CFM).  I am planning on changing to a pair of the very excellent Scythe GentleTyphoon units I have, probably the 1300rpm ones.  Beautifully made fans with a decent heavy motor and smooth bearings, and high static pressure blades.

Well, I got the adapter and fan today, and got it all put together.  Honestly, I don't know how much more air is getting moved, but it's even quieter than it was before, and it looks like the temps dropped 2-3C, but it's hard to tell because it isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison (ambient temp, running time, etc).  I'm happy enough with it, since like HellDriver mentioned, these drives will be spun down much of the time anyways.

After declaring the fan project done, I decided to cover up the side vents, thinking it would force all the air to draw in from the front, and over the drives.  I'm pretty sure this made a bigger difference than switching the fan.  I can definitely feel more air being pulled in from the front, and the temps went down another couple degrees.  The idle spinning temp of the hottest drive is currently 39C.  Once I move the unit down to the living room, I bet I see that number get down to 36-37C, which would make me very happy.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Oh, and here is the result, pretty funny looking, but I actually kind of like it.  I did end up taking that grill off because it was too restrictive.

EVOH6Wnv-HDxVqpdSzJ1YcSerWZvTiIH2G3Vvva6eND4=w928-h696-no

YdJ3dRedKq6Tl3iYNB1xj4UwRAF0xP4hsdq5eutMI2Aj=w928-h696-no

7DX3lxHdHNjTRQo74JS84scbXg8yfH_xxqTLZmcMZ-Uv=w696-h928-no

Oh wow, I didn't know there were vents on the side. I would have told you that sooner.

The Centurion 590 had vents like that. I covered them with clear mailing tape.

I remember someone commenting on how it looked, So I covered them from the inside. 

The reality was, it worked really well for that case.  I probably wouldn't do it on this case.

The negative pressure will stress the tape and it will eventually loosen. I would tape them on the outside.

The back fan does look funny. Almost like a turbo charger (blower). 

Still. I probably would have done the same thing if it were my case and I wanted to keep it. 

You could inspect the side vents to see if you can hang a fan in there. A small 60-80mm thin fan might work.

I had an old itx case that was rigged like that. It was effective for that situation.

However if tape and the back fan work, I think you're good to go.

It's funny, but I like it. I find myself admiring the pics over and over.