Replacement Drive Red-balling

Hello, I've been having trouble getting one particular drive (or really, one particular drive slot) to stay green. I have a NORCO case, and I replaced a backplane, as I was having that issue no matter what drive I plugged into the old backplane. I rebuilt a drive on the new backplane, and it was good for a while, but now it's back to being red-balled. I tried re-building to the same drive, and tried rebuilding to a different drive as well, but both are red-balling before the rebuild completes. My suspicion now is that the SATA extender card is at fault. The 2nd backplane the card is connected to has issues with 2 of the 4 slots as well. The card is a Super AOC-SASLP-MV8. I have another of those as well, but that one is working well. I would like to be able to determine if the extender card is the issue for sure before replacing it. I have attached the diagnostic zip from my version 6.0.1 unRaid server. The failing drive is Disk 13. Any feedback is appreciated.

tower-diagnostics-20150826-0821.zip

• 2 weeks later...

So I relocated the SATA expansion card to an open PCIe slot, and was able to rebuild. However, I now get permission errors, and after running reiserfsck, I was told to run --rebuild-tree. I really don't want to do that, since I've lost a lot of data before with that. If I were to rebuild onto a new drive, would that resolve the reiserfs errors and move over all the files?

So I relocated the SATA expansion card to an open PCIe slot, and was able to rebuild. However, I now get permission errors, and after running reiserfsck, I was told to run --rebuild-tree. I really don't want to do that, since I've lost a lot of data before with that. If I were to rebuild onto a new drive, would that resolve the reiserfs errors and move over all the files?

A rebuild will be bit-for-bit identical to the old drive, so will not fix file system corruption.

Thanks, trurl. That's what I was afraid of. If I were to copy the contents of the bad drive to a new drive with XFS format, are there any potential issues that I'm not aware of?

If you are copying files from a corrupt filesystem, then it's likely that there will be problems when trying to copy some files.

Thanks, trurl. That's what I was afraid of. If I were to copy the contents of the bad drive to a new drive with XFS format, are there any potential issues that I'm not aware of?

If you are copying files from a corrupt filesystem, then it's likely that there will be problems when trying to copy some files.

Thanks again. So would it make sense to copy what I can to a new drive (create a backup of sorts), then --rebuilt-tree the old drive and try to copy over what can be saved from that to the new drive?

Thanks again. So would it make sense to copy what I can to a new drive (create a backup of sorts), then --rebuilt-tree the old drive and try to copy over what can be saved from that to the new drive?

Yes