Problem accessing shares from new Windows 10 laptop

I just got a new laptop with Windows 10 and am having some trouble accessing the shares of my V6 server. I've searched the internet and forums and tried some of the fixes, but no luck. Here is what is happening at the moment.

In Windows, sorry, File Explorer, if I click on Network, I can see all devices on the network including MYTOWER. If I try to access MYTOWER the green bar goes forever then tells me I can't access the device. Typing \\MYTOWER in the address bar of File Explorer does the same thing. Now, if I type \\192.168.1.125 in the address bar in File Explorer I get immediate access to my shares, can navigate them and see the folders and files.

Here is what I have tried so far:

1. The registry edit to allow access to the shares without credentials.

2. Created a user on the server that matches the user account on the Windows 10 laptop.

3. Making sure to use a local account and not a Microsoft account.

4. Enabling NetBIOS on the laptop.

Any ideas what is going on? While using the IP works I would prefer to have the name for when I map the network drives. If I ever change the IP address I won't have to go back and remap the shares either.

It may be DNS.

You should have a hosts file on your pc (under c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc

Edit it in Notepad with the following format:

192.168.XXX.XXX        mytower

Make sure to save it back as hosts, and not hosts.txt (there should be no extension).

From a CMD window you should be able to 'ping mytower' and confirm you are pinging the server. You can then use the hostname in a browser.

It may be DNS.

You should have a hosts file on your pc (under c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc

Edit it in Notepad with the following format:

192.168.XXX.XXX        mytower

Make sure to save it back as hosts, and not hosts.txt (there should be no extension).

From a CMD window you should be able to 'ping mytower' and confirm you are pinging the server. You can then use the hostname in a browser.

That was it! Thank you for the help!

• 2 months later...

Note that if you use this workaround, you should be sure to set your UnRAID server to a static IP, since what you're doing is tying the fixed IP address to a hostname.    If your server uses DHCP, then it could get a different IP on a reboot ... and your hosts entry would no longer work, as it would be pointing to the wrong IP.

AND if you set a fixed IP, be sure it's (a) in the same subnet as what your router is assigning; and (b) either out of the range of addresses the router assigns (best) or at the high-end of the range so it's not one that will ever be assigned.    Otherwise you could end up with an IP conflict if the router assigned the same IP to another device.