Kernel Panic When Adding Drive to Array

NotYetRated

Hello, I have installed a new hard drive, WD Red 3TB to my system. Upon reboot, i stopped the array, added it to my array, then the WebUI asked me to perform a clear, starting this locked up the webui. Popping downstairs to the terminal for the server, i was greeted to the below image. Cant putty in, webui not responding. Hard reboot only. Tried again, same thing.

UnRAID 6.1rc6. No diagnostics to speak of, as the system hard locks up.

Also tried on the newly minted 6.1 :)

EDIT: Sorry, could have still mentioned plugins.

Dynamix: System Temp, system stats, system info

Community Applications

3 VM's

Beardrage, Couchpotato, SabnzbD dockers

bigbang-diagnostics-20150831-2028.zip

Why didn't you preclear?

Learned about pre-clear post-error, and am now downloading and going to attempt a pre-clear. :)

<1 of unRAID use under my belt, forgive the ignorance. When I first installed unRAID, it did not require i do any sort of clearing of my drives. Even as I added them one by one while transferring data over.

A drive is cleared when added to a new slot so parity will remain valid. If adding without parity, no clearing necessary. If rebuilding a data drive, or (re)building parity, no clearing necessary. Many still preclear all new disks because it is a good way of testing them before trusting them in your array. If a disk fails, every bit of all other drives including parity are needed to rebuild it, so it is important that all disks be reliable.

A drive is cleared when added to a new slot so parity will remain valid. If adding without parity, no clearing necessary. If rebuilding a data drive, or (re)building parity, no clearing necessary. Many still preclear all new disks because it is a good way of testing them before trusting them in your array. If a disk fails, every bit of all other drives including parity are needed to rebuild it, so it is important that all disks be reliable.

Thanks for the explanation, it is something I had not picked up on in prior reading.

Archived