We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Ram allocation error - execution error

steve1977

I was trying to allocate the full menory to the VM (not sure whether that's smart?). So, all 16GB (initial and max) go to one VM.

Upon start of the VM, I am getting an error message and the VM does not start:

"Execution error. internal error: process exited while connecting to monitor: 2015-09-04T23:06:53.129612Z qemu-system-x86_64: cannot set up guest memory 'pc.ram': Cannot allocate memory"

It works once allocating less than all of my memory. Is that expected behavior and how shall I go ahead with this?

Thanks!

unRAID needs memory for doing it's job as any other OS as well. the more it has to do, the more ram (or swapping starts) it needs, up to a certain point. i painted a pretty simplified picture here...

i would guess it's a save bet to give it between 2-4 GB - that should cover most cases pretty well. so give your VM not more than 12 GB. may i ask, what this VM is intended to do (which takes that much memory)?

unRAID needs memory for doing it's job as any other OS as well. the more it has to do, the more ram (or swapping starts) it needs, up to a certain point. i painted a pretty simplified picture here...

i would guess it's a save bet to give it between 2-4 GB - that should cover most cases pretty well. so give your VM not more than 12 GB. may i ask, what this VM is intended to do (which takes that much memory)?

I don't really need so much ram for the VM, but thought it was sharing it anyways, so was thinking to give it the full amount. Does Unraid do any different in case I allocate more than 2-4G to it? I don't run any dockers or plugins, so "only" task is parity and potentially AFP and user shares. My VM acts as UPNP server including transcoding and also hosts a rather large itunes library. But I doubt any of this will actually require too much ram.

I don't really need so much ram for the VM, but thought it was sharing it anyways, so was thinking to give it the full amount. Does Unraid do any different in case I allocate more than 2-4G to it? I don't run any dockers or plugins, so "only" task is parity and potentially AFP and user shares. My VM acts as UPNP server including transcoding and also hosts a rather large itunes library. But I doubt any of this will actually require too much ram.

RAM cannot be shared between a VM and the host.  We do allow memory ballooning for guests that do not have a GPU / Sound Card assigned, but that ballooning is only going to help share memory between various VMs, not the host.

4GB of RAM should suffice for your use.  You could possibly drop to 2GB, but bump it up a bit if you run into performance issues.

Archived