KVM-over-IP, IPMI, what am I doing here? Halp!

Hi all,

Goal: Enter bios remotely (from local network) - change settings - boot into unRaid

I've got a fresh server setup with unRaid 6 - it's running and serving media all over the place - Yeah!  The hardware is a Tyan S7012 with an AST2050 (KVM/IPMI) http://www.tyan.com/manuals/AST2050_Manual_v100.pdf <- I've read this...it didn't help.

I'm a windows guy and the machine i'd like to use to access the unRaid box's bios is running windows 10.  I don't fully understand the difference between IPMI and KVM over IP - but it sounds like I need KVM over IP to access the Bios.

Halp!

Serious thanks and appreciation for the great support here,

Rob

Can you get access to the Aster GUI? If so then launch the Console Redirection and it should give you the IP/KVM you need to reboot the machine into the BIOS.

I have Supermicro's which have a BMI console like the Aster GUI...its pretty slick except for having to use Java.

Launch the Console Redirection, reboot the unraid and watch the console redirection to where it says ESC or F11, etc to get into the bios and then press that key in the Console Redirection. You'll be in the bios of the machine.

It usually has its own IP Address and this is setup in the bios. Your initial setup might require you to be at the console to set this IP.

Your manual: http://www.tyan.com/manuals/S7012_UG_v1.1_06212012.pdf  See page 57.

It looks like it might be setup for DHCP by default so if you can check your router to see if there is an unknown device taking some IP address then that might be the IP you need to connect to via a browser.