WARNING: Avoid RAKUTEN deals. Credit Fraud and Identity Theft

BRiT

Every now and then I see 'deals' for items sold from Rakuten. They used to be Buy.com and used to be reputable. Now they are a target zone for thieves and fraudsters.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6018544-rakuten-buy-com-customers-getting-fraudulent-credit-card-charges

They have had issues going back to May 2013. They have NEVER fixed the issue. They have never once admitted to any issues on their side. The issues still persist. There are many more users who became victims that have not posted their experience.

The latest reported case was on August 18, 2015. The one before that on August 13, 2015. [ http://slickdeals.net/f/6018544-rakuten-buy-com-customers-getting-fraudulent-credit-card-charges?p=77640197#post77640197 ]

Placed an order on 8/12/2015.

Fraudulent charges started 8/13/2015.

Just got fraudulent charges After placing a rakuten order last week using discover card that I do not use much. This was a new rakuten account. Second time this has happened after placing a rakuten/buy.com order. Last time was almost two years ago. I guess never again will I use them.

• 2 weeks later...

Never trust Rakuten. They are a Japanese company trying to sliver their way in on every part of the American life. Rakuten also owns Ebates.com where you would get money back from shopping through that service but god only knows what malware and crap needs to go on your computer for it to work. I tried it myself and got a $5 check back in the mail. Needed to buy expensive items, but were good deals anyway. They have had credit card issues but a third party investigator (owned by Rakuten) said they have done nothing wrong. Get this, Rakuten, was exposed as the world's biggest online retailer of whale products and elephant ivory. I wouldn't touch that site with a 1000000 foot pole.