One computer insted of three

Stripe

As I have mentioned in the other thread I'm thinking about building a new rig that will replace the 3 computers I'm currently using: my windows desktop computer, my HTPC running OpenElec and my NAS running unRaid. I'll need two VM running simultaneously: Windows and OpenElec. As for the hardware I have 3 WD Red 2TB HDD and Toshiba 128 GB SDD which I want to use. Maybe also my power supply would work, it's a 520W Corsair. All the other hardware I need to buy. I do have a nice Antec case, but I think I can't mount drive cage inside which I would like to use it. I'm thinking about Xenon E3-1241v3  base system, but I need an advice on all other components. As for the budget... I want those two VM to run smoothly, but I don't want to spend more money than it requires... e.g. my current Windows desktop computer has 4 GB of RAM and this is the minimum I would like to assign to the Windows VM but I don't think I would need 16 GB in it. I don't play any games except Civilization 3, when I feel nostalgic ;) It would be nice if the power consumption would be low, but it's not the priority. As I had said all advice will be appreciated :)

The xeon is a good choice, but it doesn't have its own video gpu, so if you wanted video for the unRAID console, you'll need to add something for that (or get a MB with a seperate gpu).

I don't have any specifics, as there are lot of options, but since you want a xeon, i'd suggest an actual server MB ($200+ range) and getting ECC ram (small price premium over non ecc).

Sounds like you want two VMs with GPUs, so you'd want a MB with at least 2 PCI-E x16 slots to be safe. Many of the MBs will come with 6 sata slots, and you are using 4 right now. If you wanted to add another SSD for VM storage, or add more storage drives, you'll run out of slots quickly, so either get a MB with more, or make sure there are additional PCI-E slots for a sata/sas card for additional drives. Which antec do you have, i'm sure you can add something like a 4in3 or 5in3 assuming you have 3 free 5.25" drive bays.

EDIT: something like this as a starting point:

$560 (Server mb (12 sata)/xeon /w video/ecc ram)

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C222 DDR3 1600 $250

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182821

Intel Xeon E3-1226 v3 Haswell 3.3GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 84W Server Processor BX80646E31226V3  $225

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117319

2x4GB DDR3 EEC $85

I don't have this setup or anything, this is just an idea of where to go, and what you'd be looking at. You need to double check that all your hardware will support VT-d (immou passthrough) in order to pass video cards (and usb controllers) to the VMs. I'd look around this forum and the hardware one for people with working examples of what you want to do.

I would not recommend ECC RAM, personally. For a home server, I see no point in paying the price premium.

I'm running 2 windows VM's, one with 5 and one with 8GB ram, both run flawlessly on a Xeon 1245v3. I game on the 8GB one. Probably overkill. I am not familiar with what OpenELEC requires, though I would assume it is less than Windows. You are probably more than safe with 16GB RAM.

6 to Windows. 3? to OpenELEC. Leaves quite a lot for unRAID and any dockers/plugins you may want to use.

I would not recommend ECC RAM, personally. For a home server, I see no point in paying the price premium.

Absolutely do NOT agree !!  The price premium is small, and it gives you a far more reliable memory subsystem.  Especially when running unbuffered RAM.    If you're building a fault-tolerant server, it's certainly worth a few $$ to also have fault-tolerant RAM !!

... I'm running 2 windows VM's ... on a Xeon 1245v3.

You're apparently using a server-class motherboard with a server-class CPU, yet not using ECC ?  Granted, ECC probably only corrects a few bit errors/year in a typical system ... but one bit error at the wrong time and in the wrong place can have bad (and perhaps undetected) consequences.

Absolutely do NOT agree !!  The price premium is small, and it gives you a far more reliable memory subsystem.  Especially when running unbuffered RAM.    If you're building a fault-tolerant server, it's certainly worth a few $$ to also have fault-tolerant RAM !!

... I'm running 2 windows VM's ... on a Xeon 1245v3.

You're apparently using a server-class motherboard with a server-class CPU, yet not using ECC ?  Granted, ECC probably only corrects a few bit errors/year in a typical system ... but one bit error at the wrong time and in the wrong place can have bad (and perhaps undetected) consequences.

Haha I am, server CPU and mobo, non-ECC RAM. I am a bargain hunter, and rarely if ever see ECC RAM go up for sale. Grabbed my 4x8GB Crucial for 25$ a stick about 2 years ago. I have not seen ECC, 32GB's worth for any less than $170. Have not noticed any issues in computing yet(aside from 1 stick going bad....) however as you said: *noticed.

Perhaps if/when I ever make the jump to a DDR4 system Ill move to it.

ECC does cost a bit more ... but it absolutely improves your reliability.    Considering the cost of building a server; populating it with hard drives; etc. the extra few $$ for ECC is a pretty minor expense -- even if it was $70 extra (as you implied) it is well worth it IMHO.

Archived