Can my components in my pc become 2 Gaming rigs? (VIRTUALISATION)

Can I create 2 gaming rigs with 1 computer with my components?

I got my inspiratoin from:

(Linus tech tips = 2 Gaming Rigs, 1 Tower - Virtualized Gaming Build Log)

but I don't know if it is possible to do the same thing with my components.

Virtualization?

http://lime-technology.com/virtualization-host/

my components:

Cpu: Intel i7 6700K

Mobo: MSI Z170 M9 ACK

Ssd: 2x Samsung 850evo 500GB

Psu: Corsair RM 650

RAM: Kingston Hyperx 32gb DDR4 2666MHZ 15cl

Gpu: 2x MSI GTX 970 4GB

Case: Corsair 780T Black

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you? Yes

Should you? No

The performance loss you will get for gaming on a virtual platform is abysmal. A desktop virtualization is fine for watching movies, browsing the web, playing some facebook games, but not for playing AAA games where the system needs 100% access to the graphical hardware.

Can you? Yes

Should you? No

The performance loss you will get for gaming on a virtual platform is abysmal. A desktop virtualization is fine for watching movies, browsing the web, playing some facebook games, but not for playing AAA games where the system needs 100% access to the graphical hardware.

Have you tried it yourself?

You do get 100% access to the graphics card if you pass it through.

Jonp have tested the difference in performance against a barebone system and as far as I remember there wasn't much loss in performance going virtual.

No, I haven't tried it yet.

I'm now using my 2 ssd's in raid 0.

but I have 2 seperated HDD that I want to use for this project.

and when there Are friends comming over, i unplug my ssd's and insert my usb & 2 hdd for gaming on 1 pc

Do you understand what I mean?

I wasn't asking you  :) I was asking bigdady92.

Actually I suspect it would work fine with a dedicated GPU for each gaming VM, but 650w seems a bit low for running two GTX 970's and your CPU all at full throttle (which would be the case).

I'd also just decide how you want this configured, and leave it like that, rather than switching the drive configuration back & forth => that's a recipe for a disastrous mistake.    Just assign the VM's to the hard drives and all should be fine.

Can you? Yes

Should you? No

This is so wrong, I don't even know where to start.  Lol.

]

Jonp have tested the difference in performance against a barebone system and as far as I remember there wasn't much loss in performance going virtual.

I have not tried unraid's virtualization setup. I have not done a full GPU passthrough of hardware.

I have used many flavor's of virtual desktops (Citrix, KVM, VMWare, Windows, etc.) and none gave you the same power/performance as raw hardware will. Virtualization is usually* a 5-10% loss on performance and thats for basic tasks, throw in all the AAA gaming overhead and you need a monster system to attempt this. 

Please prove me wrong. I want to be wrong.  I really do.

OP:

Delete your RAID if you are having unRAID manage your equipment. A RAID 0 of SSD's is not how unRAID functions.  unRAID requires all drives be outside of any setup.

Follow Saarg's instructions and the lime-tech guide. Make sure you have a network connection plugged into your system, you'll need it to configure the web interface.

Your journey has just begun.

]

I have not tried unraid's virtualization setup. I have not done a full GPU passthrough of hardware.

I have used many flavor's of virtual desktops (Citrix, KVM, VMWare, Windows, etc.) and none gave you the same power/performance as raw hardware will. Virtualization is usually* a 5-10% loss on performance and thats for basic tasks, throw in all the AAA gaming overhead and you need a monster system to attempt this. 

OP:

Delete your RAID if you are having unRAID manage your equipment. A RAID 0 of SSD's is not how unRAID functions.  unRAID requires all drives be outside of any setup.

Follow Saarg's instructions and the lime-tech guide. Make sure you have a network connection plugged into your system, you'll need it to configure the web interface.

Have you read this blog post by jonp?

http://lime-technology.com/gaming-on-a-nas-you-better-believe-it/

]

OP:

Have you read this blog post by jonp?

http://lime-technology.com/gaming-on-a-nas-you-better-believe-it/

Or this video http://lime-technology.com/unraid-featured-on-linustechtips/

I can first hand attest: Yes, you can indeed have 2 gaming VM's on a beefy machine, and get damn near bare bones performance.

I do it now, and I absolutely love it. No, don't do it if you are running a 4k 144hz panel and want to play BF4 or something newer at 100+ FPS, on both VM's simultaneously. But yes, absolutely do it if you are playing on any standard 1080p monitors.

I can first hand attest: Yes, you can indeed have 2 gaming VM's on a beefy machine, and get damn near bare bones performance.

I do it now, and I absolutely love it. No, don't do it if you are running a 4k 144hz panel and want to play BF4 or something newer at 100+ FPS, on both VM's simultaneously. But yes, absolutely do it if you are playing on any standard 1080p monitors.

Yes i'm going to retry this evening. And I'm want to play all the newest games (black ops 3 ?) on my system with my specs and each VM on a 1080p 60hz monitor. Each VM wil get a seperate gtx970.

Question! Do i need to unplug my sli bridge if i want to use a gpu on each vm or can I leave it in my case. because otherwise i need to open the case everytime

Question! Do i need to unplug my sli bridge if i want to use a gpu on each vm or can I leave it in my case. because otherwise i need to open the case everytime

Does the driver allow you to enable/disable SLI ??    If so, you don't need to plug/unplug the bridge.    If not, then you likely have to do it.

Does the drive allow you to enable/disable SLI ??    If so, you don't need to plug/unplug the bridge.    If not, then you likely have to do it.

What do you mean with the drive? what has it to do with the drive? Or where can i see that?

It was a typo -- I corrected it (should say "driver" ... i.e. the video driver)

Yes, oke. but now another question.

Does the VM change anything of the bootorder, bootmanager, ... BIOS settings if you boot it up? (like ubuntu when you install ubuntu the bootloader  changes) that is something I realy don't want.

I just want to plug in the usb and boot up from the usb.

after playing games. I simply unplug the usb and reboot to my main system.

Without any problems (biossetting ahci -> raid is the only thing i want to do then!)