Cannot map \diskx after upgrade

hilly

OK, i am hoping this is a simple fix like ruinning permissions or something but do not want to do that until confirmed.

I upgraded to v6.1.3 and on my main windows PC i can map to the shares and to the flash using \\name (after a lot of pain of this being very flaky) and \\198 ....\share but i cannot map directly to a disk so that i can move some files around to empty a disk i want to remove. When i map to 192 ....\diskx i get asked for credentials but even entering my windows log on, my user on unraid or the root and PW it will not connect. So do i run new permissions or is there another setting to allow mapping of disks in windows when shares work fine?

Thanks in advance

Global Share Settings.

By default, you cannot share a drive that has user shares on it. This is to protect you from the User Share Copy Bug.

While you can change this default, I haven't. Though I am a fairly experienced user not everyone that has access to my server is. I just go to telnet and move things between disks using mc and don't involve the network at all for moving/copying files on the server.

Global Share Settings.

By default, you cannot share a drive that has user shares on it. This is to protect you from the User Share Copy Bug.

While you can change this default, I haven't. Though I am a fairly experienced user not everyone that has access to my server is. I just go to telnet and move things between disks using mc and don't involve the network at all for moving/copying files on the server.

I decided to enable the disk shares, but then set them to be hidden.    This means that they are available for network access but will only be found by those who know they exist.

Global Share Settings.

I decided to enable the disk shares, but then set them to be hidden.    This means that they are available for network access but will only be found by those who know they exist.

I have my flash, appdata , and VM shares hidden in SMB, but I don't have any need to access my disks over the network.

The OP needs to understand the implications of allowing disk shares which is why I always chime in on these threads. I see there is a warning about this in Global Share Settings if you turn on the Help. Does it warn you if you try to change it even if you don't have Help turned on?

Thanks for the quick and accurate feedback. I will see if i can do waht i want in MC - I would need to be able to see the available space on each disk to know what i could move and to where but i am sure i could do it "inside" the server.

I want to empty a drive, remove it from the array and then put a cache drive into this free slot - i do not have any free slots right now so need to do this shuffle. So empty a drive into the other drives free space, remove the drive, do a new config and let parity rebuild = 1 empty slot, then add the cache drive to this free slot and start using that for dockers and to speed up some transfers.

Sound about right??

EDIT: just a sanity check, if i am not bothered about transfer speed and just want somewhere for docker image is there any reason no to put it on one of the array drives and not have a cache?? i heard some dockers like crashplan (although I might not use that on this server) and plex, which i probably will as its the server with movies and stuff on it keep drives spun up all the time and so a cache is recomended - so do i make the effort to get some space to put a cache drive or just use an array drive??

Thanks for the quick and accurate feedback. I will see if i can do waht i want in MC - I would need to be able to see the available space on each disk to know what i could move and to where but i am sure i could do it "inside" the server.

I want to empty a drive, remove it from the array and then put a cache drive into this free slot - i do not have any free slots right now so need to do this shuffle. So empty a drive into the other drives free space, remove the drive, do a new config and let parity rebuild = 1 empty slot, then add the cache drive to this free slot and start using that for dockers and to speed up some transfers.

Sound about right??

Yes

EDIT: just a sanity check, if i am not bothered about transfer speed and just want somewhere for docker image is there any reason no to put it on one of the array drives and not have a cache?? i heard some dockers like crashplan (although I might not use that on this server) and plex, which i probably will as its the server with movies and stuff on it keep drives spun up all the time and so a cache is recomended - so do i make the effort to get some space to put a cache drive or just use an array drive??

Many apps will write frequently as well as read, so not only would the disk being accessed spin, but parity would also spin so parity could update. And of course writes to the parity array are slower.