Planned build! Yay!

daze

Currently have an aging Acer easyStore with:

- Single core: Intel Atom Processor 230 1.6Ghz

- 4 x 3.5" removable bays

I get fairly pathetic speeds...

Want to go to:

- MB: Supermicro Atom C2758 64GB DDR3 PCIE SATA USB Mini ITX DDR3 1333 NA Motherboards MBD-A1SRI-2758F-O

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FM4M7TQ?ref_=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i

- Memory: Crucial 16GB Kit (ECC)

- Case: Silverston ITX with 8 x 3.5" Removable bays + 2 internal 2.5" bays

http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Mini-ITX-Computer-DS380B/dp/B00IAELTAI/ref=pd_sim_147_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=316IOIzHq7L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0HX0NGXQE05VQRTRVBAW

But will end up repurposing:

- ASUS A5ION board with 8GB RAM (doesn't have enough SATA ports though), dual core Atom 1.8GHz sitting idling by. I could save a lot of money by repurposing that, then either way, I'd love to know of your opinions on the power supply and the LSI card.

- I'll still need to buy the Silverston case though (that's fine).

So all that is fine, and I currently have about 5 x 3.5" drives, and 1 x 2.5" (500GB mech drive), will be picking up a cheap Samsung Evo 250GB drive or better.

What I really need your opinion on is this:

- Which power supply would be able to handle all 8 (WD green drives) + 1 mech drive + 1 SSD occupied? SSD would be for cache.

- PCIE based LSI card that can support drive sizes of at least 3TB, but ideally more? What options are there?

And yes, this will be my first unRAID server build. :) The ITX Silverstone case is awesome, though a bit pricey...

I would think a 500W PSU would be fine.  Im running a xeon, 4 wd reds, 2 hgst 7600rpm drives, an ssd, and 4 case fans and my UPS reports im using only about 150W after boot.  During boot you will spike higher but 500 should be fine.  Im using a Corsair CX500 that I got on newegg for 25$ after rebate.

Archived