another windows 10 question - server not visible

chuga

Hi,

I have seen quite a few posts on this, and read many more via google.

I upgraded to windows 10 and at first could not access my unraid server via explorer.  Using multiple fixes in the posts (adding a key in the registry, ensuring unraid set to master, adjusting windows 10 network public/private network settings) I can access the server now by manually entering "\\tower".

however I can't get "tower" to appear in the network list.  I have to manually type it in every time.

any idea how to get it to appear in the network ?  (also - yes, using the same workgroup on all computers and server).

thanks,

Hi,

I upgraded to windows 10 and at first could not access my unraid server via explorer.  Using multiple fixes in the posts (adding a key in the registry, ensuring unraid set to master, adjusting windows 10 network public/private network settings) I can access the server now by manually entering "\\tower".

however I can't get "tower" to appear in the network list.  I have to manually type it in every time.

any idea how to get it to appear in the network ?  (also - yes, using the same workgroup on all computers and server).

thanks,

Same issue here.  I don't think SMB works all that well on unRAID.  :(  The workaround I'm using is that once my Win10 machines do see \\Tower, I pin it to the quick access so it's always there.

Hi,

thanks,

Same issue here.  I don't think SMB works all that well on unRAID.  :(  The workaround I'm using is that once my Win10 machines do see \\Tower, I pin it to the quick access so it's always there.

The issue is well documented in the forums and it's actually a problem with how Windows implements smb AFAIK..

I also use Linux clients on my LAN and they never have a problem seeing my Unraid server...

Yeah, I've read up on this as well.  You can get SMB to work ok if you disable SMB2&3 on your Windows machines.  It's still not particularly reliable, but it works (sometimes I have to enter my username/password 3 or 4 times to get it to work).

That said... I've had 2 QNAP NAS boxes and a Synology NAS and various other server type devices and I've never had these problems with any of them. The SMB just works.  It seems to be fair to say that SMB is borked on unRAID given that.

Archived