Steam In-Home Streaming/Plex

CyberMew

I'm on unraid 6.1 and my server box is right next to my TV. I'm looking to do either in-home streaming for steam or install Plex Home Theater so that my TV can browse... how can I go about doing that? I also don't have a dedicated graphics card. I do however have a VM installed (Ubuntu) and HDMI connected to my TV  from my motherboard, but so far I don't see any signal..

My server info:

M/B: ASRock - B85M Pro4

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Cache: 256 kB, 1024 kB, 6144 kB

Memory: 8192 MB

At the moment KVM cannot normally pass thru integrated graphics to a VM.  You therefore normally need a discrete graphics card to output to a directly attached screen (or drive the VM via VNC or RDP) How good a graphics card you need depends on what you want to do on that screen.

I have seen some suggestion that there might be movement in this are for the unRAID 6.2 release, but there is nothing definitive I have seen stated.

Is buying a new graphics card the only way to output another VM? for video passthrough, yes. you can use RDP if you just want to access the desktop or console (no video, sound or gaming).

So basically 1 VM = 1 gfx card? each running VM with video passthrough needs a separate card. you will have to shut down 1 VM to before you start another if using the same card for multiple VMs.

If that's true,would any cheap gpu card do? for video (Plex) passthrough any gpu will work. for steam the gpu capabilities will affect the game resolution, detail settings, etc.

If that's true,would any cheap gpu card do? for video (Plex) passthrough any gpu will work. for steam the gpu capabilities will affect the game resolution, detail settings, etc.

It doesn't need to be as fully featured if your plan is to use in-home streaming (instead of running them locally). But I would check the in-home streaming forums to see what is recomend horsepower wise. I don't think it takes much...

It doesn't need to be as fully featured if your plan is to use in-home streaming (instead of running them locally). But I would check the in-home streaming forums to see what is recomend horsepower wise. I don't think it takes much...

Absolutely right if the VM will only be used for streaming. I assumed the VM would used create the stream (i.e. a Steam machine).