vm help windows 98se

26 minutes ago, ruthan said:

Why i can hear it from my physical speakers? Its quite usual that emulated sound from emulator is forwarded to physical speakers..Vmware vms could do that.

Unraid is a NAS with KVM added on. NAS's don't need sound, so unraid doesn't have sound drivers. Unraid is not Vmware, maybe it serve you better to use something that works the way you are used to.

15 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Unraid is a NAS with KVM added on. NAS's don't need sound, so unraid doesn't have sound drivers. Unraid is not Vmware, maybe it serve you better to use something that works the way you are used to.

I discovered unraid, because of KVM gaming and Linus tech tips is best solution for retro gaming, which i know, this is marked where is Unraid #1 solution, there is zillion of Nas solutions, so gaming and sound emulation should be priority.

57 minutes ago, ruthan said:

gaming and sound emulation should be priority.

No, data integrity and host OS stability should be priority.

KVM isn't Vmware, and isn't authored by limetech, so you need to be complaining to the KVM authors.

To be clear, you are asking for a rarely used combination of emulated sound being passed to the host. Normally, if you want sound in a KVM machine, you would pass through a video and audio card to the VM, which works perfectly well right now in unraid on KVM supported hardware.

You are the first person on these forums that I am aware of to ask for this.

KVM isn't Vmware, and isn't authored by limetech, so you need to be complaining to the KVM authors.

This classic Linux community excuse, Limetech want money for Unraid where is KVM virtualization included, so they should make their best, i dont like halfass features in any product.

To be clear, you are asking for a rarely used combination of emulated sound being passed to the host. Normally, if you want sound in a KVM machine, you would pass through a video and audio card to the VM, which works perfectly well right now in unraid on KVM supported hardware.

Its not rare all virtual machines engines like Vmware, Virtualbox, all emulators works like that, QEMU and KVM even has all these features, but Unraid developers not support them.. Posibility of choice is best thing in the life and choose that i want to use emulated sound card, instead of slots of full of soundcards for passthrough, especially if new soundcards could be passthrough to old OS (no drivers and na PCI slots on present day boards). 

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

I found a way around having to do the step-by-step confirmation in order to boot. 

Disable the boot splash by putting logo=0 under the options section in msdos.sys!

[Options]
logo=0
BootMulti=1
..BLAH...

To unlock msdos.sys for editing, edit, and re-lock:

unlockMsdossys.PNG

Edited by hrfraz
Added screenshot - how to unlock and edit MSDOS.SYS

Msdos.sys is just text file, so you can post whole its content, i personally dont have this step by step problem..  But i have problem, if something crash, i boot into Safe mode and in same mode USB keyboard and mice is not working, so i have to double reboot, is some crash happens and its annoying..

I thing that this should be fixed on QEMU - side, make PS2 working for safe mode as fallback, if USB is not working..

2 minutes ago, ruthan said:

Msdos.sys is just text file, so you can post whole its content, i personally dont have this step by step problem..  But i have problem, if something crash, i boot into Safe mode and in same mode USB keyboard and mice is not working, so i have to double reboot, is some crash happens and its annoying..

I thing that this should be fixed on QEMU - side, make PS2 working for safe mode as fallback, if USB is not working..

Yah,

I'm just saying that if someone has this issue, disabling the boot logo with that line in msdos.sys will fix that specific issue. :)

• 2 years later...

Im trying make it working with Vanilla KVM on Mint 19.3 - its using Qemu 2.11 - i would probably need to upgraded it to newer no distro repository version. 

Because it seems that PS/2 mouse emulation is dead with 2.11 , at least for Qemu 4.2 on Windows is mouse for dost working fine. 

I have Geforce 6600 pci-e pass through working, it would be nice card to run Win98 with full 3D Apis.

I wonder what machine types was at the end used?

I tried to add RTL8139 and other network card, but i they were never detected inside of virtual, i only managed to find NE2k_isa, through Add new Hardware wizzard.

Other problem is input for Passthrough, im used to my virtual machine use USB devices passthrough, but with Qemu Windows 98 its seems that USB is dead, how control such machine?

Edited by ruthan
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...