How do I manually edit a file in /mnt/cache ?

I setup access to the appdata share to Private and gave my user read/write access. I realize I am probably missing something very simple.

On a separate machine I tried to edit the file directly as well as overwrite, neither of which worked.

This issue is specifically related to an issue accessing the webUI for a docker app, but I guess I'm asking for general knowledge as well.

If anyone is able to assist, I would greatly appreciate it. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Since my last post, I tried to use the terminal to edit the file with the pico command but that did not work. I managed to open the file with and add the line by using vi but I don't know how to save/write the changes.

You can also edit text files from within Midnight Commander.  You can also set file permissions and a whole host of other capabilities.

Start MC

Navigate to the file in question.

Hit the F4 key to edit the file.  There is a size limitation

Make your edits (use the arrow keys to move around in the file)

Hit the F2 key to save the changes.

Hit the F10 key to quit.  (If you did not save your changes, the program will prompt your here)

Your done.

To set a files permissions:

Using your mouse, select File on the top menu.

Select Chmod in the menu.

Click within the parenthesis for the attribute you want to set.

Hit the Set or Cancel button.

Alternatively, hit the F9 key to select the top menu.  Arrow across until file is selected.

Arrow down until Chmod is selected.  Hit the Enter key to open the sub-menu.

Arrow down to select the permission you want to set.  Use the space bar to toggle the attribute you want to set.

Arrow down to select Set or Cancel button and hit enter.

Note the typing the highlighted text character will also activate the command in question.

As in:

F9

F

H

Arrow down to select the permission you want to set.  Use the space bar to toggle the attribute you want to set.

S or C as appropriate to select Set or Cancel.

Google can help you identify more capabilities.

Minor Rant

I think MC should still be part of the basic Unraid install and not an part of a plugin install.  As I am still on Unraid 5 and not 6, I can only go on what I have read in the forums.  If it has been put back into Unraid, the my apologizes to LT.